When it comes to fixed space heater, there are only a few best choices available in the market. And one electric heating solution that has been making a buzz lately is the best baseboard heaters.
Baseboard heaters provide warm temperature in the most energy-efficient and cost-effective way possible. Ceramic baseboard heaters, for instance, are popular for their ability to generate and retain heat better than the other models.
What Is Hydronic Baseboard Heater and How Does It Work?
- 1 What Is Hydronic Baseboard Heater and How Does It Work?
- 2 6 Main Advantages of Using the Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 3 Convection Vs. Hydronic Electric Baseboard Heaters
- 4 8 Amazing Baseboard Heater Reviews
- 4.1 1. Cadet 6824 BTU Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- 4.2 2. NewAir 5120 BTU Portable Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
- 4.3 3. KING 4K1210BW Baseboard Heater
- 4.4 4. Dimplex 2,500 Watts Convection Baseboard Heater
- 4.5 5. Fahrenheat PLF1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 4.6 6. Fahrenheat 2000-Watt Electric Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 4.7 7. Cadet 1000-Watt SoftHeat Hydronic Electric Baseboard Heater
- 4.8 8. Marley HBB1254 Qmark Hydronic Baseboard Heater
- 5 The Best Baseboard Heater 2019!
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
- 7 Conclusion
One most coveted baseboard heater types is the hydronic baseboard heaters. These are also known as water heating system as it indicates the use of water to some extent and capacity, which is unlike the conventional electric and oil-based convection. The baseboard allows the heater to be easily installed on walls and floors of a house.
The little water used in Hydronic heating system is circulated from the boiler into the heat pump, pipes, or into the radiators in each room.
6 Main Advantages of Using the Best Hydronic Baseboard Heater
Here are the 6 main advantages of Hydronic Baseboard Heaters:
When it comes to the initial and installation costs, Hydronic Baseboard Heaters cost higher than the traditional electric heaters. However, the building technology of the hydronic baseboard heaters helps you save a lot of money in the long run.
The manufacturing of hydronic baseboard heaters is not only amazing in terms of price but as well as its thermodynamics. The use of water as a catalyst of heat that travels throughout the rails, walls, floors, and radiators is proven to be a certified energy-efficient.
The water remains warm as it travels to different radiators, and for this reason, the boiler does not use as much energy.
Quick and Straightforward Installation Process
Although the installation process is pretty much costly (when you compare to the electric units), the whole process is actually not that complicated.
Hydronic baseboard heaters do not need any sophisticated nor a customized installation that you would normally expect from an under the floor heating system. You just need a baseboard that practically has everything set up for you.
Consistent Flow of Warmth
You will also feel that the warmth coming from the heater is flowing constantly. Thus, many people consider this as the best space heater option. The boiler directly maintains the temperature of the water; hence, your room will have a regular flow of warmth.
Absolutely Zero Toxicity Risks
Because it makes us of water, which chemical substance is composed of 2 hydrogen bonded together by a single oxygen. And even when the water is exposed to high temperature, its chemical composition is still safe.
Moreover, this type of heaters does not emit any toxic substances unlike gas heaters that causes gas emission and oil heaters which give off unpleasant smell when the heater gets old.
But what many love about baseboard heaters, specifically the hydronic type is their noise reduction technology. Hydronic baseboard heaters operate quietly. So, if you are worried that this would blast like an aircon, then you can scratch that off your list.
If its energy efficiency, heat retaining capacity, and zero toxicity level are already enough to convince you why this is an excellent secondary heater option, then hydronic baseboard heaters still have another benefit to add on the list—it being durable and can last longer than 20 years!
Yes, you have heard it right. Some models of hydronic baseboard heaters can last up to 20 years or more when taken care of. And we will just make it clear that baseboard heaters are very easy to clean and requires little maintenance.
Convection Vs. Hydronic Electric Baseboard Heaters
Modern homes nowadays use HVAC system as its primary heating source. HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning.
However, when it comes to secondary heat source, electric baseboard heaters are in the frontlines, specifically the hydronic kind.
In this section, we will give light to the similarities and differences between the two popular secondary heat sources so that you will have an informed buying decision.
Heat the room slowly
Both hydronic and convection heaters heat up the room rather slow. However, hydronic baseboard heaters heat up the water quickly. When we say slow, we refer to its ability to warm up the entire space of a room. Since this is not a fan-driven room, the heat takes time to travel through the air and across the room.
But this slow movement of heat is actually what some homeowners love. For someone who does not like the forced air heating of the HVAC system, baseboard heaters are ideal.
Since convection and hydronic baseboard heaters don’t have moving parts like a stand fan, they are completely silent. The only sound you might hear is the ticking sound when the unit is turned on and off or when you adjust the temperature. You will also hear a slight ticking sound when the casing expands and contracts, but it is mostly unnoticeable.
Have the same voltage option
In addition, they also have the same voltage option. Convection heaters can run on both 120 volt or 240 volt line. Meanwhile, baseboard heaters initially run only on 120 volt but advancement of technology allows higher voltage baseboard heaters to be developed.
No plugs needed
Since these both types of heater are permanently added to the house, they are hard-wired into the electrical line of the property rather than being plugged into an outlet.
With this in mind, many homeowners who don’t have the electrical know-how usually hire professional electrician to do the work.
Between the two, it is the convection heaters that are much cheaper to buy. However, they are also considered the least efficient.
The hydronic baseboard heaters, on the other hand, are really expensive to purchase (about 4x more than the convection type). But they are proven to be very energy efficient.
Whereas, the convection type comes in different forms, shapes, and sizes. Convection heaters are also usually available across all brands.
Dissipation of Heat
Convection heaters cannot stay warm for an extended period of time. Both the inside and the outer steel heating elements cool down quickly. This is pretty much what makes the hydronic and the oil-filled heaters better choices.
8 Amazing Baseboard Heater Reviews
1. Cadet 6824 BTU Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
If you want the best electric baseboard heater aside from the hydronic type, then convection heater is your best alternative.
This Cadet baseboard heater has a total heat output of 6824 BTU which runs on a 240 Voltage line. Its primary material is steel but its heating element is from the coil installed inside the heater.
Cadet is a popular brand trusted by hundreds of consumers. This particular model is ideal for short-term heating though.
- Easy to use since it is electric
- Has an auto shut off function, which is ideal since it is only advisable to use this heater for short period time
- Actually light with a total weight of 5 pounds.
- Also available in 120 voltage line
- It also has its own safety features.
- No plug-in needed; it’s a complete hardwired appliance
- This requires little cleaning maintenance; only need to clean every 6 months.
- Suitable for residential use only
- With a lifetime limited product warranty
How to install a Cadet electric baseboard heater
2. NewAir 5120 BTU Portable Electric Convection Baseboard Heater
A great portable baseboard heater option is this NewAir 5120 BTU heater. This is only 8.25 by 5 by 31.5 inches in dimension. The overall product weight is 7.3 pounds with a 72-inches cord length.
If you want a baseboard heater that is very lightweight and can be easily carried around, then portable heaters are the best home appliances for you.
- Can heat a room with a size of 300 square feet
- Only takes 2 hours to warm the room
- This is a small and space-saving heater.
- No remote control included but you can toggle this heater through its push buttons located in from of the unit
- Its primary material is both steel and plastic.
- You can use it for a maximum time of 7.5 hours.
- This is a plug-in type, so it’s very easy to use.
- Has a standard efficiency level
- Offers a 1-year warranty for parts and labor
3. KING 4K1210BW Baseboard Heater
Strong, durable, and crushproof—are just some of the few advantages of buying the KING 4K1210BW K Series Baseboard Heater. This is a full-length heater with a back wire design and built-in cable clamps.
A lot of people praised this product for its quality and performance with other claiming it to be the best convection heater with the most amazing heat transfer. This heater is specifically designed for room, indoor, and overall house heating.
- This runs quietly, making it the perfect baseboard heater for bedrooms and study areas.
- Installing this heater is also hassle-free and only cost a little.
- The heater is equipped with a crushproof aluminum, which helps the transfer of maximum heat.
- You can also wire this heater on both ends of the baseboard.
- Has a baked enamel finish which serves as an added protection and durability
- This can also be installed in your bathroom whenever you need a blast of warmth in the area during cold months.
- With a 1-year warranty program
4. Dimplex 2,500 Watts Convection Baseboard Heater
Dimplex is a North American brand known for manufacturing media consoles, stoves, electric fireplaces and electric heaters. This convection baseboard heater has power of 8530 BTU of heat per hour. So, you will surely feel the warmth just within a few minutes.
It is 60 inches in length with 2.38 inches depth. This innovative and revolutionary heater is proven and tested to be more energy-efficient than the average convection heaters.
- Has sleek and minimalist tubular design that can fit even in narrow spaces
- You can also mount this on the wall and control it through a wireless remote control for heat regulation.
- The control and wirings of this heater are great and are compliant to the CSA proportioning thermostat.
- Installation is also quick and easy. Just remove the front caps and on both sides, know-outs the convector. It has its own pre-stamped mounting holes.
- Suitable for bedroom, washrooms, lobbies, offices, and more
- Great for both residential and commercial uses
- Equipped with premium shark-fin blade, which helps improve the transfer of heat
- Has 1-year limited warranty and 10-years limited warranty on elements
5. Fahrenheat PLF1004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater
Fahrenheat is yet another trusted brand of baseboard heater. This particular heater is 46 inches long and runs on the 240 volt line. It has an estimated wattage of 1000 watts, a pretty powerful actually.
What’s more is that it is a hydronic model, so it makes use of water as a conductor of heat, making it efficient, as excellent heat retaining ability, and super effective. In fact, we must admit that this is one of our top favorites on the list.
You can get this amazing hydronic baseboard heater in 1-pack, 2-pack, 4-pack, and 5-pack. Thus, whether your house has a lot of rooms to heat up, you can always buy this baseboard heater in bulk.
- This runs very quietly while providing effective and long-lasting heat whether in the bedroom, bathroom, or living room.
- Doesn’t give off any toxic gas nor smell, so it is completely safe for children and safe
- Safe to use for extended period of time
- Unlike other baseboard heaters, this one starts and turns off without any annoying pinging sound
- It has its own overheat protection technology.
- This automatically stops when the air intake is blocked, which is the common cause of fire risk.
- The zone heating power of this heater is absolutely effective and noticeable.
- Instructions are given and easy to follow.
- Users report that electric bills didn’t shoot up even after using the heater for two months straight
- Proven safe and tested by UL
- 100% efficient
6. Fahrenheat 2000-Watt Electric Hydronic Baseboard Heater
This is an efficient that is capable of providing comfortable warmth for a longer period of time. One look at the heater, and you’ll notice its seamless and very minimalist design. Its cream color also suits any room interior designs.
On top of that, this hydronic baseboard heater is safe to use. It also has its own heat protection, which keeps the unit from overheating. If you are worried that such amazing heater consumes much energy, then you can scratch that one out.
Fahrenheat 2000-Watt Hydronic Baseboard Heater is a certified energy-saver. Its wiring diagram is also easy to understand; thus, installing the heater is quite an easy task.
- A powerful baseboard heater
- Produce even heat at a continuous flow
- Leaves the room feeling cozy and warm within just minutes and heat remains even after turning the heater off
- The heater is durable, every part is well-made
- You can return the unit within 90 days if you are not satisfied with its performance.
- There is also an optional remote controlled thermostat if you don’t like the unit mount thermostat model.
- When the heater detects obstruction of airflow, it automatically shuts off to prevent overheating.
- Safe to use even on carpeted floors and tiled floors, as well as near curtained windows
7. Cadet 1000-Watt SoftHeat Hydronic Electric Baseboard Heater
Cadet Hydronic baseboard Heater is a favorite by many homeowners and it is not at all surprising. There are a lot of things to be impressed about with this unit. For one it is proven to save energy while still able to warm the room even after shutting the unit off.
Also, it is environmentally friendly. No hazardous gas nor fluid drips out from the unit. And it has the lowest potential fire risk.
A lot of people are using this heater and this particular model is selling like hot cakes in the market. Its promise of safety, power, and efficiency are more than enough to convince us that this is the best hydronic baseboard heater with the highest energy conversion rate.
- Very easy to install and set up. No plumbing needed
- Provides safe level of heat enough to keep you feel cozy and warm
- Safe and non-toxic
- Runs very quietly, perfect for bedrooms and infants rooms
- Retains heat longer even after shutting the unit off
- Recommended by a lot of licensed electrician across the country
- Very durable and made from high-quality material
- Also, customer support is very helpful
- Voted as one of the best baseboard heater models in various review sites online
- This is being offered with a 7-year warranty service.
8. Marley HBB1254 Qmark Hydronic Baseboard Heater
Marley HBB1254 Hydronic Baseboard Heater has earned a spot on our list because of its unique and amazing feature. This is the best hydronic baseboard heater when it comes to temperature retaining ability even after you turn off the unit.
Its heat retention is very impressive that even when you turn off the thermostat, the room still feels warm for about an hour.
Another great thing about this model is its flexibility. It is compatible with various accessories and is available to customize to suit buyers’ preference.
If you want an electric heating hydronic heater with premium energy technology, then Marley is a good brand to look into.
- It is available in both convection and hydronic model. Just choose the type that works best for your room.
- It’s very easy to install.
- Provides comfortable heat without consuming much energy
- The instructions are easy to read and follow even for beginners.
- The best baseboard heater (secondary heating source) for small rooms and offices.
- Perfectly quiet when in use
The Best Baseboard Heater 2019!
If we were to choose the best value heater on the list, it would go down to either the traditional electric unit or the hydronic model. After thorough considerations, we choose the Cadet 1000-Watt SoftHeat Hydronic Electric Baseboard Heater.
We think that the hydronic is the best option, not is it efficient, it is also a safer and more practical choice. And among all the hydronic baseboard heaters on the list, we think Cadet is the most trusted brand. They have better customer support and all products and certified safe by governing bodies and organizations.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’re going to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about baseboard heaters. However, we would like to emphasize that our answers are based on personal experiences, feedback from people who actually used the product, and of course, research.
If you know other information that can help the readers, please feel free to comment. Let’s all help each other.
Are baseboard heaters energy efficient?
This an easy question. Yes, baseboard heaters are energy efficient, especially when the one you are used to is the traditional electric convection type. Although most baseboard heaters take longer time to heat up the room, they are also longer to cool down. Thus, boilers don’t need much energy to keep the room warm.
Is baseboard heating safe?
Yes, it is. It wouldn’t be in the market if it is not safe at all. Basically, the baseboard heaters are composed of two parts: the heating element and the thermostat, just like what most heaters have. Baseboard heaters are also safe from fire danger.
Just take note that just like any other electric heaters available, misuse of baseboard heaters can cause electric shortage, which is a great risk of fire.
Can baseboard heaters cause fire?
The exact answer to this question is both a Yes and No. There are two types of baseboard heaters, as you may know: electric and hydronic baseboard heaters. And the issue about this type of heater catching fire is a battle between these two types. Between the two, the hydronic type is seen as safer and more energy-efficient although it heats up the room slower.
In addition, the electric baseboard heaters are also more prone to cause fire based on the fact that it is a line voltage electricity sucker. It consumes a lot of energy and can get really hot and can cause fire when it is placed too close to a flammable object.
However, it doesn’t mean to say that the hydronic type won’t catch fire. There is still a chance that such accident happens but the risk is much lower. This is because the hydronic model runs at a lower temperature. Thus, there is lesser chance of overheating.
How far should furniture be from baseboard heaters?
Experts revealed that you should put the baseboard heater at least 6 inches away from the furniture or vice versa. This is to avoid the obstruction of air that can contribute to the heater getting overheated.
How far should curtains be from baseboard heaters?
Most popular placement of baseboard heaters is at the bottom part of the wall with a window. And homeowners are concerned whether it is safe since curtains are usually draped on the windows.
The solution is to have the exact measurement. Make sure to put 4 to 5 inches space between the heater and the bottom of your drapes.
If you want to conceal the heater behind the curtain, then make sure that the curtain is not stuck or too close to the heater. It should be 2 to 3 inches in front of the heater.
How to clean electric baseboard heaters?
Many people have their versions of cleaning an electric heater. But the one tools that should never be missing is the vacuum. You need to vacuum the inside of the heater with a soft brush attachment. Another option is to pressure steam the baseboard heater. The steamer will help you clean the fins of the heater. This ensures that there is no obstruction to the airflow of the heater.
Also, don’t forget to turn off the heater before you even begin cleaning and wipe the cover before putting it back on.
The demand for high-quality air conditioning and heater nowadays are on the rise. But buyers have become wiser in terms of choosing the best product that makes their money worth it. Thus, more and more heating product companies are trying their luck to attract new buyers with amazing offers.
Still, an informed buyer knows that doing research and having a clear understanding of how to choose the best baseboard heaters are some of the critical steps to get the best value heater.
Hopefully, you din this article helpful, and we hope you’ll get the most suitable heater for your needs!