Are you looking for a hassle-free way of keeping your pool clean and heated without the added hassle of adding to your utility bill? Certain pool safety covers may just be a great option. These days, these covers are designed in such a way that they not only retain heat but heat up your pool as well – without adding to your power consumption. If you are out looking for the best solar pool cover for your buck but do not know where to start, take a look at our product review section. You may just find what you are looking for.
Best solar pool cover reviews
1. Sun2Solar Solar Heating Swimming Pool Cover Blanket Brand
The Sun2SolarBrand offers you a variety of solar pool cover blankets in a variety of shades, i.e. blue, clear, and clear diamond. These solar pool cover blankets are available in a wide selection of sizes and shapes, while the brand also has a stainless steel frame pool cover reel with large turning handle for in-ground swimming pools that are up to 20 feet in width. This makes covering your pool and removing the pool cover just so much easier!
The features we like on the Sun2Solar Brand Pool Bubble Cover:
- These products sport an attractive design and are made up of a film that has thousands of tiny bubbles. These bubbles, working together, collect as well as retain heat no matter the time of day.
- You save money on pool chemicals, as fewer are needed to keep your pool’s water in great condition.
- Water evaporation is minimized by up to a staggering 95% when this cover is used.
- Using a solar blanket means your pool does not lose heat when not in use while the unique bubble design heats the pool.
- Odd-shaped pools pose no problem as your pool bubble cover can easily be trimmed to fit with a pair of sharp scissors.
- Your pool is kept free of any dust, leaves, or other debris, making cleaning so much easier.
2. Blue Wave Solar Blanket Brand
Blue Wave stock a range of products that make the lives of pool owners – whether it is an above ground pool or in-ground pool – so much easier. Their swimming pool covers are available either in blue or clear and come in a range of sizes. They also have covers designed for either in-ground or above ground pools. Furthermore, they stock pool cover rollers for all types of pools. Other nifty products that are worth mentioning include a solar dome heater for above ground pools, above ground pool pump covers (perfect for the winter months), pool cover reel covers, and pool safety covers, for those days when your water is warm enough but you still want to keep out any errant leaves…and pets and children.
Why we like this brand’s swimming pool covers:
- The heat-retaining thermal bubbles on the bubble pool covers allow the sun’s rays to reach your pool, heating your water and keep in the heat.
- The covers are made with 14-gauge material, making them extremely durable even in the harshest weather.
- Your pool’s temperature is raised without the use of an expensive heater.
- You need to use fewer chemicals in your pool, while less dust and other debris enter your pool, thereby prolonging the life of your pool filter.
3. Intex Solar Pool Covers Brand
Intex Brand makes various pool covers and other related pool equipment. The tradition pool covers are to be had in various sizes and forms, covering the pool and keeping it free of any dirt and leaves while ensuring no water is lost due to evaporation. The brand also has a set of pool cleaning equipment that is ideal for above ground pools, not to mention a surface skimmer and special pool heating mat. Their solar pool covers, however, are what we wish to review in a little more detail.
- These pool covers come in various sizes, although it would seem the brand seems to concentrate on round, above ground pools.
- These covers not only retain heat but reduce evaporation from your pool by up to 95%.
- The pool cover, when fitted, fits inside your pool’s edge, directly on the water, and floats in place.
- The tough PVC plastic used in the manufacture of the pool cover collects the sun’s energy, heats your pool’s water, and prevents excessive heat loss.
- Their pool covers usually come with a handy carry bag for storage when not in use.
4. In the Swim Brand
This brand sports various pool covers and pool solar covers in various shapes and sizes for both above ground and in-ground pools. These are available in black, blue, and clear.They also have various other pool accoutrements, including a battery-powered swimming pool solar blanket reel system (up to twenty inches wide), an extremely useful spray-on pool cover cleaner, and handy above ground pool cover clips for the winter months.
What we like about their solar pool covers:
- They are available in numerous rectangular and round sizes.
- The 16-millimeter thick solar blanket is constructed from hardy, UV-stabilized resin
- An aluminized bottom layer is very efficient at heat transfer to the water beneath it.
- The products are easy to cut or trim, making them ideal for any irregularly shaped pool.
- You save money on chemicals due to less water evaporation taking place.
5. Splash Pools Brand
Specializing in splash pools, this brand has a range of solar blankets that fits many different shapes. Their products are typically available in blue or clear.
What gets this brand on our list:
- They cater for medium sized pools.
- Their products keep your water clean by blocking any dirt or debris.
- You save on chemicals as much less evaporation takes place.
- Water loss is reduced by up to 95%.
- The solar blankets prevent heat loss.
6. Harris Brand
Harris stocks a range of pool bubble covers in a range of shapes and sizes, including round, oval, and rectangular. Their covers are predominantly blue or clear.
What we like about this product:
- It is a cost-effective method of retaining your pool water’s heat.
- The solar cover allows the sun’s UV rays to penetrate the pool directly, increasing your pool water’s temperature by up to fifteen degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is an environmentally method of heating your pool as no electricity is required.
- The blanket prevents water evaporation, saving you costs on pool chemicals.
- It is very easy to install.
- The cover stays flexible and does not become brittle.
- It is effective at preventing any leaves or other debris from entering your pool.
How do you choose the best solar pool cover?
A few factors come into play when choosing a solar pool cover.
- Does the pool cover fit my pool? Rather go for a size that is too big than one that is too small, as a smaller cover will not heat up your pool effectively. Additionally, most solar pool covers can be trimmed to fit your pool’s size and shape.
- What color do I want? While a darker cover may heat up a pool more quickly, lighter colors tend to keep in the heat for longer.
- Make sure your cover has bubbles. These bubbles allow sunlight to pass through and help with the heating
- The construction material of the pool cover does count. Pool covers made of reinforced UV-stabilized polyethylene are more durable and do not deteriorate quickly when exposed to the sun for long periods of time.
- Decide whether you want to manually cover and uncover your pool. If not, you may want to look at an automatic pool cover. These use a small motor that allows you to quickly and easily put on or roll back your pool cover.
What are the advantages of using a solar pool cover?
- An estimated 75% of a pool’s heat loss is as a result of evaporation. A solar pool cover keeps the heat in, extending the period during which you can use your pool.
- Because you do not need to heat your pool as frequently as before, you can save up to 70% of your normal pool heating costs.
- These covers are easily trimmed to fit any shape of pool.
- Solar covers are value for money as they are relatively cheap while saving you on heating costs in the long run.
- Although these covers may slowly deteriorate over time, they do last for quite a long period, making them well worth the effort due to your savings on water, power, and chemicals.
The different solar pool cover options
There are four solar pool cover options that are relatively popular on the market these days.
- 1. Straight line vinyl cover: This is a sheet of vinyl that you allow to float on your swimming pool’s surface. As it disallows evaporation, your pool stays heated for a longer period.
- 2. Insulated vinyl cover: Here several layers of vinyl are attached to each other with air pockets between them. This helps to prevent heat transfer from your pool into the air.
- 3. Pool bubble cover: These are the pool covers we have covered in the ‘review’ section. This design largely resembles bubble wrap, allowing heat to become trapped within the bubbles, thereby both transferring heat to your water while ensuring very little escapes. It is an extremely popular option.
- 4. Liquid solar pool cover: This pool heating solution is relatively new on the market and the verdict is still out there. How it works, is that you have a floating dispenser that floats in your pool. It contains a non-toxic liquid chemical that floats on top of your pool’s water. It is said to trap solar energy. Due to the non-toxicity of the liquid chemicals, it is still perfectly safe to swim in your pool.
Are solar pool covers safe?
Solar pool covers are not to be confused with safety covers. Their main task is to warm up your pool’s water and keep the temperature more or less constant. They have the added advantage of keeping your pool clean as well as saving you money on chemical costs.
They are not, however, as previously mentioned, to be substituted for safety nets. As these covers simply lay on the surface of the water, they will not hinder children or pets from falling into your pool. This is not their function.
How to use your product correctly
Using your solar pool cover is as easy as laying it over the water of your swimming pool. However, there are a few things that bear keeping in mind.
Firstly, your pool cover should fit the inside of your swimming pool perfectly. This is easily achieved by laying it over the swimming pool surface and then carefully cutting off any extra pieces, ensuring a perfect fit. If your cover is too large or hangs over the sides, it does not effectively trap in the heat nor heat your pool properly.
Furthermore, the cover can be used anytime you are not swimming. This means you should always cover the pool at night because this is the time when most heat escapes.
All that is left now is to choose the product of your choice. To make things easier for you, our team have compiles some reviews of the best solar pool covers to ensure you make the perfect choice for you and your family…and, of course, your pool.
Solar Pool Cover FAQ
When it comes to choosing a product that stands out, the choice is difficult. However, as far as we are concerned, the best solar pool cover option goes to the Blue Wave Brand. Not only does their solar pool cover do everything we want it to do, the brand also has a number of nifty products that make the life of a pool owner just so much easier.
Solar pool covers really save you money in the long run, not only with regards to the money you save due to a lowered energy and water consumption but by the fact that you save on chemical costs for your pool as well.
- 1 Best solar pool cover reviews
- 2 How do you choose the best solar pool cover?
- 3 What are the advantages of using a solar pool cover?
- 4 The different solar pool cover options
- 5 Are solar pool covers safe?
- 6 How to use your product correctly
- 7 Solar Pool Cover FAQ
- 8 Conclusion