Swimming pool is a place where people hang around with friends and family members. People hanging around with their kids at the swimming pool should take care of a few things in order to avoid any mishappenings.
Swimming is one of the most exciting and rigorous exercises. The excitement of swimming is amalgamated with the fear of drowning, as many people lose their lives because they take swimming way too casually. A statistic about the USA shows that more children have died from drowning than any other way. The children that are under five years of age. It’s not their fault because they are too young to understand the right depth of water. But, I would put all the responsibility on the parents or teachers or the trainers under whom supervision, the kids jumped into the pool. Keeping aside the fatality rate, swimming pools are responsible for giving spinal cord injuries and illness that is caused when people swim in the public swimming pools.
What’s the best time to get into a swimming pool?
Well, those who know how to swim can jump into the swimming pool anytime they want, but those who are still learning how to swim must keep a few things in mind before swimming, especially kids.
- They should wear the proper swimming costumes with head, eyes and ears protective gears.
- Start with the pool that has the lowest amount of water.
- Always swim under the supervision of an experienced swimmer because catastrophic events can happen anytime.
- In case, the swimmers are kids, then there should be someone to accompany them in the water.
- If using a diving board, then make sure that it comes from a renowned brand and approved by the concerned authorities.
- Try to swim in the above ground swimming pools, as they are shallow.
- People coming to the swimming pools with kids should always keep an eye on them.
- Kids should not make use of the pool slides.
- There are certain floating toys in the pool, so parents need to make sure that those should not be above the waist height of the kids. Moreover, after swimming, the toys must be taken out of the water, or else, kids may jump into the pool in order to get them.
- Not every floating toy is a life vest, so educate kids as to which floating toy they should hop on to in case there is any problem.
- Make sure that there are no electrical appliances near the swimming pool, as it can cause a major accident.
- Swimming during a rainy day is cool, but is not recommended when it’s lightening.
- Parents should lock the swimming pool area at the time when it is not in use. This is mostly during winters and when kids have exams.
- Always keep a siren and a phone nearby the swimming pool in order to call out for help at the time of an emergency.
- If possible, then keep a portable defibrillator near the swimming pool.
Swimming lessons don’t assure safety of kids
While it is important to undertake swimming lessons, but I would like to burst a bubble that most parents live in, i.e., they think that their kids are safe in the water. Swimming is not something that can be perfected by undergoing lessons. Yes, swimming lessons do help, but kids are kids, they are supposed to make silly mistakes, but parents need to make sure that the silly mistakes are not turned into mortal danger.
How much safety at swimming pool can become once it is fully fenced?
It is a wise decision to fence around the swimming pool, as it can protect kids up to a huge extent. Having said that, fencing may not prove good enough to prevent the incidents like drowning. Parents can create a fence around the pool, but also keep an eye on where their kids are hanging around. Place a CCTV camera near the swimming pool in order to check that kids don’t go into the pool alone. It is the duty of the parents to beef up the security around the swimming pool in order to protect their kids. Swimming pools are one of the best places for a family get together and in order to keep it a place to have fun, parents need to take all the necessary steps.