Our reviews of the best waterproof mp3 players for swimming will help ensure that you continue listening to your favorite tunes even while underwater. These mp3 players are specifically designed to work while immersed in water and have a watertight outer housing.
Alternately, you can buy a separate waterproof casing for your existing mp3 player, but this will not provide as much protection from the water as those devices that are designed to be waterproof and are not recommended for use while swimming.
Waterproof mp3 players may also come with built-in earphones since earphone jacks could allow water to enter into the device. If the mp3 player you choose does not have this feature, you will have to buy a separate of the best waterproof headphones to use with it.
Things to consider to buy the best waterproof mp3 players for swimming
- 1 Things to consider to buy the best waterproof mp3 players for swimming
- 2 Best Waterproof Mp3 Players for Swimming Reviewed
- 2.1 1. FINIS Duo MP3 Player
- 2.2 2. Sony Walkman NWZW273S Waterproof Sports MP3 Player
- 2.3 3. Diver DB-10 Waterproof mp3 Player with Waterproof Earphones
- 2.4 4. Alpatronix Waterproof Bluetooth Headset (HX250)
- 2.5 5. Pyle Flextreme Waterproof Sports Headset Music Player
- 2.6 6. Swimbuds Waterproof Headphones with Shuffle Feature
- 2.7 7. Underwater Audio Waterproof iPod Shuffle.
- 2.8 8. FX-Sport VRX Wireless Smart Sport Headphones
- 3 What Are the Best Waterproof Headphones for Swimming?
- 4 Conclusion
When it comes to choosing a mp3 player for swimming, the first step is to consider where you will typically use it. If you usually swim in a pool that is not that deep, then you can probably make do with one that is fairly waterproof. However, if you swim in the ocean, then you have to make sure that the mp3 player is rated up to the depth of where you will be swimming, in order to ensure it does not get damaged.
Once you get past this important consideration, you can choose your waterproof mp3 player using the same criteria that you would for any other digital audio player.
How large is its internal memory?
This depends on what you plan to use it for. If you only use it to listen to music, then a 4GB mp3 player should be sufficient since it can store up to 1,000 songs. On the other hand, if you listen to audio books, podcasts or other types of audio content that have larger file sizes, you may need one with at least 8GB of memory.
How long is the battery life when fully charged?
This is not a consideration for everybody, but if you are the type of person who swims for hours a day, you may want a mp3 player that lasts at least eight hours before it has to be recharged.
What file types does it support?
How easy are the controls to use?
When you’re swimming, you don’t want to spend time fiddling with your mp3 player to get the song you want, so the controls should make it easy to navigate your audio library.
Best Waterproof Mp3 Players for Swimming Reviewed
1. FINIS Duo MP3 Player
This unique waterproof mp3 player uses bone conduction technology to allow swimmers to listen to their favourite songs or other audio content by transmitting it directly into the ear canal through the cheekbones. This makes swimming while using the mp3 player easier since there are no intrusive earbuds with cords that can get in the way of your arm movements.
The best feature is the bone conduction technology, since it allows you to enjoy music while swimming without the need for earbuds or headphones. This can also be a safety feature since you can still hear what is going on in your environment.
- The bone conduction technology provides clear audio while swimming in the water without the need for earbuds, using two side speakers.
- The high-contrast OLED screen allows easy access to the various features of the mp3 player.
- The FINIS Neptune has 4GB memory capacity, which can store up to sixty hours of audio content or some 1,000 songs.
- The speakers come with hydrodynamic clips that secure them to goggle straps and rest on your cheekbones.
- The gold-plated charging cable also doubles as a connection to your computer, allowing you to quickly upload songs and other audio.
- The device is waterproof up to ten feet or three meters.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery gives you up to eight hours of use when fully charged.
- Does not work as well when not submerged in water.
- The main unit rests behind your head when swimming, which means it is not readily accessible.
2. Sony Walkman NWZW273S Waterproof Sports MP3 Player
This one-piece music player combines an mp3 player and swimming earbuds in one lightweight package. It is easy to wear and allows you to swim or do other workouts without a dangling earphone cord that can get in the way of your movements.
The best feature is the mp3/earbuds combo, since this makes the device very convenient to use. If you want to listen to music or other audio content, all you have to do is put it on. You don’t even need to worry about tangled earphone cords or having to find your earphones.
- Wireless design makes using the mp3 player easy and convenient.
- It takes just three minutes to charge the device to get sixty minutes of battery life; when fully charged, the battery lasts up to eight hours.
- You can use multiple music services, including iTunes, and can play audio content from multiple formats, including mp3, AAC or WMA.
- The player has 4GB memory capacity.
- The device is waterproof up to two meters.
- ZAPPIN search feature lets you easily find the song you want by using the main melody, without having to look at the display.
- Sony audio technology provides rich sound quality using features such as Clear Bass and Clear Stereo.
- Multi-function playback buttons let you easily navigate your audio library.
- Demanding audiophiles may find the sound quality disappointing.
- Some buyers found the sound muffled while swimming.
3. Diver DB-10 Waterproof mp3 Player with Waterproof Earphones
The Diver DB-10 is a convenient and easy-to-use mp3 player that comes with hooked waterproof earphones. It provides good value for money with great performance.
The best feature is the included hooked earphones, since they make using the mp3 player very convenient. The earphones connect to a standard earphone jack and also come with clips so that you can attach them to your goggles, swim cap or even the strap of your bathing suit.
- The mp3 player has 4GB worth of memory.
- The plug-and-play system works with both PCs and Macs.
- When not being used in the water, the Diver DB-10 is compatible with Bluetooth headphones.
- The device can stay submerged for up to 24 hours without damage.
- Basic mp3 player does not have a lot of features.
- Some buyers are not happy with the quality of the included earphones and recommend buying better ones to use with the mp3 player.
This item is currently unavailable.
4. Alpatronix Waterproof Bluetooth Headset (HX250)
Aside from swimming nose clips and swim cap, this ultimate Bluetooth headset is ideal for the workout junkies out there. The wireless feature is perfect for intense workouts and running. Its IPX7 waterproof rating makes it one of the best waterproof mp3 player for swimming as you can use this underwater up to 3 feet. The best feature is its latest Bluetooth 4.2 technology that provides fast pairing and extremely high sound quality.
- Possesses incredibly fast pairing and transmission through its HD Bluetooth 4.2 Technology. Each earbud contains a high-quality audio driver that delivers deep lows, crystal clear mids, and powerful highs enhanced with premium bass for a surround sound music experience.
- It can be immersed in a 3-ft depth of water because of its advanced IPX7 waterproof rating for as long as 30 minutes. Swimmers can now swim listening to their favorite tune. This waterproof feature is also great for an intense workout, long-distance running, and sauna bathing.
- Designed with built-in playback controls that let you take control of your audio with an ease. You can also answer or hang up calls in a jiffy. This is indeed the perfect pair for your waterproof fitness tracker.
- Compatible with all iPhones and iPads, Samsung Galaxy, and mostly all of the other Android Smartphones.
- Noise isolation blocks out outside ambient noise for a high-definition sound experience.
- It has limited submersible depth.
- Some people may find the strap to not fit properly with their ears.
- Some buyers reported they experience faulty Bluetooth connection while underwater.
- It has short battery life.
This item is currently unavailable.
5. Pyle Flextreme Waterproof Sports Headset Music Player
This is a comfortable non-interfering headphone that is perfect for the active lifestyle. The Flexible Wrap-Around style is great for sports junkies. It is a submersible waterproof headset, making it an ideal swimming buddy. The Pyle Flextreme MP3 Sports Headphones have the impeccable balance between style and performance so that you can move with ease!
- Thanks to its IPX8 Waterproof rating, you can now play your favorite songs underwater.
- It is made to fit. The Pyle Flextreme MP3 Sports Headphone is bendable, adjustable, and flexible, thus fitting it to your head is effortless.
- It is designed with Simple Touch Button Controls so that you can listen to your favorite tune hassle-free.
- This comes in a universal size for all head shapes to enjoy. No need to worry about not getting the best fit for your head.
- The “behind the ear” design never falls out even while doing vigorous physical activities.
- It is made with an easy “Drag & Drop” audio file management system.
- A wire-free, hassle-free, and hands-free device that keeps distraction at bay when working out on the gym or doing intensive activities.
- Some claims that it has a shorter lifespan.
- Low sound volume was reported by some users.
- Users reported they have a hard time organizing the audio files when synced to the computer.
6. Swimbuds Waterproof Headphones with Shuffle Feature
Created to be effective and efficient, this Swimbuds waterproof headphone is the perfect addition to your tech swimsuit and other swimming gadgets. This meets the IPX-8 standards and can even withstand to be submerged of up to 10ft. It is easy to use as it comes with a simple USB plug-and-play technology and no drivers needed. The Swimbuds are designed for lip-turns, and the extra-short cord is tangle-free.
- Swimbuds hassle-free and extra-short cord doesn’t get snagged or tangled, making your listening uninterrupted.
- SYRYN MP3 player is 100% waterproof that meets IPX8 waterproofing standards.
- It has great depth submersibility of up to 10-ft.
- This comes with an optional shuffle feature that keeps your music in a mix.
- Each headphone comes with 4 sizes of earbud tips so that you never have to worry about getting the best fit and lets you spend more time swimming and less time adjusting.
- It comes with a complimentary swimming goggles.
- This may have a short lifespan.
- There was a reported water leak in the earbuds despite the good fit.
- It has a low sound volume as compared to the other models on this list.
- Some buyers found the sound muffled while swimming.
7. Underwater Audio Waterproof iPod Shuffle.
This is one of the best waterproof iPod for swimming products since it is an authentic Apple 2GB iPod Shuffle that has been specially waterproofed by Underwater Audio. The iPod Shuffle can hold hundreds of songs and has fifteen hours of battery life when fully charged.
The best feature is the waterproofing, since it allows you to use the genuine iPod Shuffle, and all its outstanding features, while swimming. The Shuffle is lightweight, has simple to operate controls and can be clipped to your goggles.
- The Underwater Audio mp3 player comes with a free set of waterproof starter short-cord headphones and gives you the option to upgrade to a set of Swimbuds Sport waterproof headphones for a discounted price.
- It is endorsed by Olympic Gold Medalist Rebecca Soni. The package also comes with a free download of her 30-minute swim workout and a complimentary 1 oz. bottle of AquaGuard Pre-Swim Hair Defense.
- The waterproofing on the iPod Shuffle is depth-tested and corrosion-proof, ensuring worry-free use for swimming.
- The iPod Shuffle is not originally designed to be waterproof; thus, it is unclear up to what depth it can safely be used.
- The memory capacity of the iPod Shuffle is only 2GB, which may not be enough for people with big song libraries or who listen to a lot of audio content.
8. FX-Sport VRX Wireless Smart Sport Headphones
This headphone/mp3 player combo provides swimmers with outstanding sound quality while they swim, and comes with a variety of useful features. Athletes can particularly benefit from the FX-Sport VR-1 since it has an assortment of training features built-in.
The best feature is its compatibility with an athlete’s training requirements. This means that not only is the FX-Sport VR-1 designed for their needs but also serves as a powerful motivational tool during workouts.
- The mp3 player features treble and bass settings as well as custom speakers, plus an embedded amp to provide the swimmer with a powerful depth of sound while swimming.
- The product comes with free access to the FX-Sport library of hundreds of mp3 training programs in various fitness categories. You can upload your choice directly into the headphones.
- The workout program has customizable features such as being able to record your own motivational message, time notifications and instructions. It also comes with a Pace or Race mode so you can choose the intensity of the workout.
- The mp3 player has a memory capacity of 8GB, allowing you to store your workouts along with your library of songs.
- The headphones do not have their waterproof features built in, and require a separate Silicone Skin that is bought separately, as well as a swim cap to allow the mp3 player to be heard consistently while swimming.
- Some people may find the headphones bulky when swimming.
This item is currently unavailable.
What Are the Best Waterproof Headphones for Swimming?
Many people, particularly those who are sensitive about the sound quality of the music or other audio they are listening to, are not happy with the headphones that are included with waterproof mp3 players. Aside from sound quality, they also find it difficult to keep the earbuds in their ears while swimming. Thus, to complement their mp3 player, they choose to buy a separate set of higher-quality headphones or earbuds. Although this represents an additional expense, the people who do this see it as an investment since they would enjoy what they are listening to on their mp3 players more.
It has long been recognized that Swimbuds is the best brand of waterproof headphones. When it comes to choosing a pair however, you may have trouble making your decision. To help you, here is our recommendation for the best Swimbuds waterproof headphones.
Swimbuds SPORT Waterproof Headphones.
These high-quality headphones provide you with everything you need for a premium listening experience while swimming. The package comes with four earbuds in different styles so you can choose the one that provides the best fit. They can also be used while running or biking or even for casual listening while doing chores or going about your daily routine.
Since dangling cords can get in the way when swimming or performing other physical activities, the headphone comes with a short cord of just 40 cm. To add versatility, however, a one-meter extension cord is also included.
To ensure utmost comfort and durability, the Swimbuds SPORT is constructed using stronger materials and tougher cords. The ergonomic design means that you can wear them for longer periods with reduced fatigue.
Since the quality of the sound is important, the headphones feature third-generation Hydro beat audio technology. While you should not expect outstanding audio since water does not transmit sound well, you still enjoy better sound quality than you would get from the majority of waterproof earphones.
The packaging also eliminates all unnecessary cardboard to make it not only easier to unpack but also more environment-friendly. And the headphones are covered by a one-year warranty.
Why should you choose Swimbuds SPORT?
- The headphones come with a complete set of adaptors so you can choose the set that gives you the most comfortable fit.
- The waterproof headphones work perfectly without the need to do air compressions to remove the water from the interior.
- They provide good audio quality with no glitches since a waterproof seal allows the sound to be transmitted directly to your ears without interference from the water.
- They work well whether you are using them on land or in the water.
We hope that you enjoyed our guide to the best waterproof mp3 players for swimming and that it was able to help you find the one that best meets your needs. Remember that when choosing a mp3 player, it is important that you get the best one that you can afford, since this will save you money in the long run as you won’t have to constantly replace it. Thank you for reading this article and good luck in finding your ideal waterproof mp3 player.