If you’re experiencing Edema, if you suffer from plantar fasciitis, or if you simply want to have a healthier blood circulation, you would pay a king’s ransom for an awesome foot massage. However with everything going on, you just never have enough time to go to a spa. Well, the next best thing is to get yourself the best foot massager and enjoy the benefits of a professional foot massage right in the comforts of your home!
Foot Massager Functions
Foot massagers have a wide array of functions, which usually depend on the style of the massage. The different styles of foot massage are listed below with a short description of their respective functions:
Shiatsu means “finger pressure” in the Japanese language. In manual Shiatsu therapy, masseurs apply pressure with their hands to pressure points (traditionally called meridians) on the body. Shiatsu foot massagers simulate the manual shiatsu therapy and help relieve sore feet due to fatigue and overall weakness. They also help to improve blood circulation on the feet.
Reflexology massage is based on the idea that there are reflex pressure points on the feet that corresponds to other organs and systems of the body. Reflexology massagers stimulate these pressure points, thereby relieving stress in these corresponding areas. This has a tendency of bringing the entire body to a relaxed state as the foot is being massaged.
Compression massage employs the application of direct pressure on the muscles as a means of muscle relaxation and rejuvenation. Compression foot massagers often use air pressure. Generally, they relax the foot muscles and help improve circulation.
In contrast with compression massagers that use air pressure, hydrotherapy massagers make use of water pressure. Hydrotherapy massagers relax the foot muscles, relieve pain, and improve blood circulation in the feet. Most hydrotherapy massagers often incorporate heat and vibration massage settings to give a more soothing and all-inclusive massage experience.
Read more: Best Foot Spa Reviews By Experts, Plus Its Amazing Benefits!
Vibration massage employs the use of light or firm pressure to relax underlying muscles and increase blood flow. Vibration foot massagers are made for this purpose. They also relieve pain and gives a sense of invigoration and as such is very helpful for athletes just before a sporting event.
Some foot massagers are designed to emit infrared rays. These rays can penetrate deep into the muscles of the foot to relax tight muscles, improve circulation, and relieve foot pain. Some other types of foot massagers also incorporate infrared heat into their functions to enhance the relaxation. Portable infrared sauna, a type of infrared massager, improved dilation of blood vessels, increases cardiac output, relieves foot pain and increases metabolism.
Pressotherapy (Lymphodrainage) Foot Massage
This kind of massage is aimed at improving blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in order to release tension and aid relaxation. This is usually done either manually or by using a far infrared sauna suit (Far infrared foot massage sauna) or a sauna belt. This is very helpful for those who have varicose veins. While pressotherapy massage cannot completely cure varicose veins, it eliminates pain and swelling. The constant infrared heat released by sauna suits and sauna belts are quite effective for reduction of pain. They also make the muscles more flexible and relaxed and improve circulation.
Foot massagers can be beneficial in reducing or alleviating foot pain and some other symptoms in the following health conditions (the most appropriate type of foot massager is indicated in bracket):
- Arthritis (Hydrotherapy Foot Massagers).
- Plantar Fasciitis (Compression Foot Massagers).
- Bunion (Shiatsu Foot Massagers).
- Gout (Hydrotherapy Foot Massagers).
- Migraine and Headache (Reflexology Foot Massagers).
- Lower back pain (Infrared Foot Massagers).
- Flat feet (Shiatsu Foot Massagers).
- Diabetes (Vibration foot massagers).
- Chronic Edema (Lymphodrainage Foot Massagers).
- Premenstrual Syndrome and Menstrual pain (Reflexology Foot Massagers).
10 Benefits of Foot Massage Attested by Experts
Aside from leg massager and back massage machine, getting your own foot massager at home gives a lot of benefits. Studies have proved that applying pressure in the hands and feet has been linked to the health improvement of the other parts of the body. The science behind this is called Reflexology. Although reflexology cannot diagnose or cure health disorders, a lot of people around the world use it in addition to their treatments. While the immediate benefit of a foot massage is elevating the pain currently experienced, there are other proven wondrous side benefits too!
1. Encourages Better Sleep
Getting a foot massage just before going to bed can help you sleep better. Stimulating pressure points on your feet can impact the whole body, affecting the organs and glands. By simply massaging the feet you can help yourself or a loved one to drift off to sleep naturally.
2. Improves Blood Circulation
When your work does not allow much freedom for movement, and when your diet consists of fast food, or when you experience stress on a daily basis, you run the risk of having a poor blood circulation. This is a result of that sedentary lifestyle you live wherein your blood vessels are congested in fats which hampers your blood circulation.
Countless studies and personal testimonials have proven that a regular foot massage can improve your blood circulation, as it can target all the congested areas that may have blocked your blood flow.
3. Helps alleviate Plantar Fasciitis Pain
Plantar Fasciitis is an overuse injury, affecting mostly athletes and people whose job always strains the feet. Although this type of injury needs deep muscle massage therapy and a professional therapist as treatment, having the best foot massager for circulation at home can help you in alleviating the pain when it attacks.
4. Fights Depression and Anxiety
Receiving a foot massage can help a person fight depression and anxiety. A depressed and anxious person finds it hard to relax, resulting in experiencing insomnia, hyperventilation, and abnormal heartbeat. It is proven that a great foot massage can help a person beat insomnia and can also promote a healthy blood circulation that guarantees a normal heartbeat.
For this reasons, a person with depression and anxiety can reap positive benefits from having a reliable foot massager at home to help them relax and fight off their condition without the need for pills that may cause negative side effects to the overall health. Help a loved one or yourself fight depression, invest in the best foot massager available on the market.
5. Relieves Aches and Pains
The feet have specific points that correspond to the other parts of the body and applying pressure on these certain parts of the feet is a proven way to relieve a person from the aches and pains the feel on those exact parts. If you suffer from headaches, migraines, neck pain, and lower and upper backaches, purchasing one of our best foot massagers will be a great investment. You can ease your aches and pains without the hassle of going to a foot spa.
6. Makes Feet Healthier
A proven practice to promote healthy feet is a regular massage. A regular foot massage is said to keep the muscles of your feet supple and promote muscle strength, and when the muscles are flexible and strong, you reduce the chances of having unpleasant foot injuries. What better way to ensure you get regular foot massage than getter your very own home foot massager?
7. Alleviates Edema
Pregnancy changes a woman’s body, weight gain and fluid retention can cause strain and swelling in the feet and ankles resulting in a condition called Edema. Edema sufferers are not just pregnant women, there are diseases and conditions that can also cause Edema like Congestive Heart Failure, Cirrhosis, and Kidney Diseases, to name a few.
A regular foot massage can help reduce the swelling and strain on the feet for it helps by removing the excess fluid on the affected area. If you are a person suffering from Edema, then it is time to give yourself much a needed relief.
8. Lessens Menopause and PMS Symptoms
Feelings of sadness, insomnia, irritability, bloating, headaches, fatigue, and mood swings are a common symptom that plagues a woman during premenstrual and postmenstrual syndrome (PMS) and especially during menopausal stage. A regular foot massage that targets the correct points which are directly linked to the affected area has been proven to ease the symptoms of PMS and menopause.
9. Relieves Restless Leg Syndrome
This is a neurological disorder in which the person suffers from unpleasant throbbing sensations on the legs and experiences an uncontrollable urge to constantly move the legs. This sensation can make it near to impossible for a sufferer to have a good night’s sleep. Although there is no cure for this kind of disorder, a regular foot massage can make wonders for a person suffering from this disorder. Regular foot massage can help promote blood circulation and the overall health of the feet; it will help the person to have a peaceful slumber.
10. Normalizes Blood Pressure
The force of blood pushing against the walls of the arteries as the heart pumps blood is what we call blood pressure. While it is normal for the blood pressure of a person to rise and fall, depending on the current activity and emotion of that person, the considered normal blood pressure is a systolic pressure below 120 mmHg and a diastolic pressure below 80 mmHg. However, it is considered to be abnormal if the blood pressure is higher (hypertension) or lower (hypotension) than 120/80 mmHg.
A regular foot massage can help keep a person’s blood pressure normal. Poor blood circulation is one of the leading causes of having an abnormal blood pressure and a regular foot massage has been proven to be a great aid in promoting good blood circulation, thus keeping the person’s blood pressure normal.
You can read more: Do-it-yourself foot massage at https://www.health.harvard.edu/
Foot Massager Disadvantages
Foot massagers are very beneficial. However, they have some few demerits; some of which are highlighted below:
- As good as foot massagers are, they can’t give the same feel and effect as the human touch. Foot massagers simulate but cannot give exactly the same sensation like a direct person touch.
- Most electric massagers would automatically shut off after about 15-30 minutes of use, thus limiting the length of time that they can be used.
- Foot massagers, particularly reflexology foot massagers, are discouraged for pregnant women. Reflexology massagers may trigger labor by stimulating the uterine walls. However, some therapists are trained to avoid reflex pressure points that may trigger contraction of uterine walls when they are massaging pregnant women. This may be a good alternative to foot massagers for pregnant women.
- Foot massagers generally would increase blood flow and circulation and by effect, increase blood pressure. This may not be safe for those who already have abnormal heart rate, high blood pressure, or any other heart condition. Such people are advised to consult with their doctor before using a foot massager.
- Those who have a pacemaker implant are advised not to use foot massagers without first consulting with their doctors. Some foot massagers, like many other electric devices, may damage or interfere with the function of the pacemaker.
- It is extremely risky for those who are suffering from osteoporosis or who have brittle bones to use foot massagers because they are at increased risk of sustaining a fracture even with the application of seemingly light pressure.
- Hemophiliacs should totally avoid using foot massagers without the authorization of their doctor. Micro muscular wounds usually occur in the course of the massage, and this may provoke hemorrhage which is difficult to arrest in hemophiliacs.
- Those who have phlebitis (inflammation of a vein, in which a blood clot may lodge) or thrombosis (presence of blood clot in a vein) should totally avoid the use of foot massagers. The blood clot lodged in the vein may be dislodged in the course of the massage, and may then travel in the circulation and ultimately lodge itself in a vital organ like the heart, brain, or lungs. A blood clot in a vital organ may be life-threatening.
- Those who have a fever should stay away from a foot massage. Foot massagers cause a measure of the increase in body temperature, which is significant enough to aggravate the fever.
Best Foot Massager Reviews
1. MedMassager MMF06 11 Speed Foot Massager
This 11-speed foot massager manufactured by MedMassager is hailed as the most powerful electric massager available to the public. This weighs 11 pounds with a dimension of 16 x 12 x 9.5 inches. The product comes in black color.
- This product has an 11-speed motor control from 1,000rpm to 3,700rpm for optimum comfort and control.
- This is certified for therapeutic use by CSA and FDA.
- This comes with a warranty of 1-year full replacement against defects and failure. An option of the lifetime warranty is also available for sale on the manufacturer’s website.
- The ergonomic shape of this product offers maximum comfort during the massage and gives the ideal angle to target pressure points.
- Shoe sizes up to 13 US size can fit properly on this product.
- The product requires 110-120 volts to operate. It is NOT multi-voltage and cannot operate at 200-240 Volt range.
- Many buyers report that although the product works very quietly, it can get quite loud if enough pressure is not put on it.
2. SPT Reflexology Foot Massager (AB-762R)
The SPT reflexology foot massager with Infrared Sauna has an ergonomic design, which helps you maintain a good posture while having the massage. This product weighs 21 pounds and has a dimension of 20.5 x 17 x 9.5 inches. The product comes with a sleek red design.
- This product gives a 3-dimensional whole-foot massage.
- This product delivers vibrating percussion to the acupoints on the soles of the feet.
- This has a built-in Infrared heater with delivers infrared heat all around the feet.
- Users with large feet (12.5 US size) report that this product didn’t accommodate their feet.
- Some users report that when they used the product on a wooden floor or on weak floors with vibration mode on, it strongly vibrates the floor too.
3. uComfy Silver Shiatsu Massager
This oval shaped shiatsu foot massager, a product of uComfy, has 5 levels of massage intensity modes and a built-in heater. The shipping weight is 10 pounds and has a dimension of 17.7 x 15 x 18.1 inches. This product comes in smooth silver color.
- This product can deliver both kneading shiatsu-style massage and a vibration-style massage, depending on the user’s settings.
- This Shiatsu Massager delivers an Acupressure massage with heat and compression around the feet.
- This has five different massage intensity settings so that the users can set the intensity that is comfortable for them or gradually increase the intensity while the massage is ongoing.
- This is made of high-quality sturdy materials (ABS plastic and nylon), which make it suitable for regular use.
- This product does not massage the heel of the foot.
- This is not eligible for international shipping.
4. F4 Shiatsu Foot Massager with Heat
This well-made and nice looking shiatsu foot massager with built-in heat function is a product of Brookstone. This product weighs 12.6 pounds. It has a dimension of 16.8 x 8.8 x 14.4 inches and comes in a matte black design.
- This product comes with deep kneading massage rollers to relieve pain and fatigue.
- This has a selectable heat function to offer more relaxation.
- This has High- and low-intensity massage modes, ensuring you get a comforting massage.
- This has 3 auto massage programs (Soothe, Pulse and Energize), depending on the need of the user.
- This product only fits small to medium size feet.
5. Shiatsu Massager With Kneading and Rolling Leg By Best Choice
This massager by Best Choice Products is one the best shiatsu foot massagers on the market. This weighs 13.50 pounds with a dimension of 22 x 12 x 10 inches. This product comes in four colors: red burgundy, red, pink, and black.
- This product comes fully assembled, no need to go through the hassle of putting it together.
- This also comes fully customizable, you can opt to mix it up or choose your preferred massage strength and motion.
- This is designed to be lightweight and compact.
- Some customers complained that the product was not as durable as promised.
6. Heat Kneading Shiatsu Massager By Kendal
This multifunctional product is manufactured by Personal Health Studio or Kendal. This product has been reviewed by many customers. This weighs 9.5 pounds with a dimension of 16 x 16 x 9 inches. This product comes in white color.
- This product features shiatsu massage, rolling, air pressure, kneading massage, and heating function. 3D press massage, hot compress constant, 360 all cover massage, UV Sterilization, and Ozone Function.
- This product is pre-programmed to shut down after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- This product has detachable fabric foot covers for easy cleaning.
- This product can accommodate shoe sizes up to 13 US size.
- Some buyers complained that the product was too strong that it hurts their feet.
7. Shiatsu Foot Massager By Giantex
This particular shiatsu massager is manufactured by Giantex. This product has been reviewed by hundreds of customers. This product has a dimension of 23″ X13″ X10″. This product comes in black and red colors.
- This product has a manual and automatic program; the automatic program has four optional modes.
- This has an adjustable speed, it can change its kneading directions.
- Some buyers complained of the intensity of the product hurting their feet.
8. Shiatsu Therapy Massager By NURSAL
This shiatsu massager is manufactured by NURSAL. It features a heat function and a full coverage from heel to toe. This product’s shipping weight is 12.1 pounds with a dimension of L427 x W388 x H260 mm. This product comes in a sleek grey design.
- Nursal guarantees a 60-day money back and a 12-month worry-free warranty
- This product has a controllable heat function.
- This also has three strength options to choose from, low, medium, and high.
- This foot massager has a removable and washable cover that makes cleaning a breeze.
- Some buyers complained about the product’s strength that ended up hurting their feet.
- Some buyers regrettably received a defective product.
9. Shiatsu Foot Massager with Remote Control By SereneLife
This shiatsu massager is by SerenLife. It features a heat function and an even fuller coverage from the heels, toes, and to your ankles. This product has outstanding reviews. This product’s weight is 13.2 pounds with a dimension of 11 x 15.8 x 17.7 inches. This product comes in a sleek grey design.
- This massager is perfect for anyone as it can accommodate shoe sizes up to 13.
- This also features an LCD display that clearly shows you all the options and functions so that you can easily adjust it to suit your needs.
- This product also has a heat function that is perfect for cold winter nights.
- This foot massager has an adjustable base that you can adjust to the perfect height for your ultimate relaxation.
- There were not many complaints about this product but a few buyers request for a little improvement in the intensity of the heat function.
- There were also a few disappointments about the product not being able to make good contact with the ankles.
10. Shiatsu Massager with Built-in Heat Function
This shiatsu foot massager with built-in heat function is a product made by Beurer North America. This product has been reviewed by many customers with good customer feedback. This product’s weight is 6.8 pounds with a dimension of 15 x 17 x 5.5 inches. This product comes in a sleek white-grey design.
- This massager has 18 rotating massage heads that provide a deep penetrating foot reflex zone massage.
- This also has a heat therapy function and has different speed levels.
- This product has pegs you can adjust for comfortable positioning.
- This foot massager is great for those that suffer plantar fasciitis.
- Some buyers regrettably had the misfortune of receiving a defective product and through the hassle of returning it.
11. Shiatsu Deep-Kneading Massager By Miko
This shiatsu foot massager by Miko, features deep-kneading, multi-level settings, and switchable heat options. This product’s shipping weight is 11.9 pounds with a dimension of 43x40x20 cm. This product comes in a sleek charcoal grey design.
- This massager has a center control panel with soft-touch buttons to dial in your personalized preferences regarding the strength, massage type, and heat level of your massage.
- It features deep-kneading & soothing natural vibrations that are guaranteed to relieve tired muscles.
- This product is compact portable foot massager and can be stored under most standard sofas when not in use.
- Some male buyers complained that feet compartment is too small.
12. Shiatsu Foot Massager, deep kneading By Homedics
This foot massager by Homedics is one of the best shiatsu foot massagers on the market. This product’s shipping weight is 6.8 pounds with a dimension of 14.5 x 13.5 x 4.5 inches. This product comes in a sleek dark charcoal grey design.
- This product feature 6 rotating heads that double the massage experience.
- It also has 18 massage nodes and a soothing heat that ensures a perfect shiatsu experience.
- This product has an easy to use, toe-touch control that makes operating it simple and straightforward.
- This is not recommended for use by diabetics.
13. Shiatsu Foot Therapy Massager By Belmint
This foot massager by Belmint is one of the best foot massagers on our market that offers shiatsu foot therapy. This product’s weight is 7 pounds with a dimension of 13.5 x 14.2 x 5 inches. This product comes in a sleek black design.
- This product offers deep-knead motions that effectively stimulate and re-energize your sore feet.
- This massager also has a heat function to further relax and soothe your feet.
- This product has its power button angled towards you for a simple toe-touch control.
- This is recommended for people with plantar fasciitis and nerve pain.
- This massager is not recommended for people suffering from diabetes.
14. Quilted Shiatsu Foot Massager By Gideon
This foot massager by Gideon is one of the best foot massagers that offer shiatsu foot therapy. This product’s shipping weight is 3.9 pounds with a dimension of 12 x 12 inches. This product comes in a sleek charcoal grey quilted design.
- This product features a total of eight deep penetrating massaging nodes that promises to feel like the hand and thumb action delivered by a professional masseuse.
- This product is also a dual-purpose massager and can also be used on almost any body part that needs massaging. Simply unzip the top foot muff part and viola! You’ll get yourself a back massager, neck massager, and leg massager.
- It can help those that suffer Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Spur, Bunions, Arthritis, foot swelling, and foot aches and pains.
- Some customers expressed dismay that the product did not provide enough pressure
15. Foot Massager with Heated Feet Massage Machine By Naipo
This foot massager by Naipo is one of the best foot massager on our market that offers shiatsu foot massage and heat therapy. This product has receive positive feedback from its users. This product’s shipping weight is 7 pounds. This product comes in a sleek charcoal grey shade.
- This best electric foot massager features dual footbeds that pack 18 massage nodes under a soft mesh guaranteed to deliver a dedicated massage experience for each foot.
- This product also has a toe-touch control option for your ease of access.
- This product also lets you adjust its height to suit your needs and its advanced heating infrared circulation vibrator guarantees to promote blood circulation and improve metabolism.
- This is not recommended for people who have less pain tolerance as the massage may be too strong for them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some FAQ’s to help you in your decision in buying the best home foot massager:
1. Does a foot massager help with arthritis?
According to Dr. Tiffany Field, the director of the Touch Research Institute at the University of Miami School of Medicine who conducted a number of studies on the benefits of massage, regularly massaging the muscles and joints can result in a significant reduction in pain for people suffering from arthritis. Although you need a licensed physical therapist to help you treat arthritis, having your own foot massager at home can give you significant help in relieving the onset of pain when symptoms of your condition attacks when your physical therapist is not available.
2. Can pregnant women go for a foot massage?
A lot of pregnant women are apprehensive about getting a foot massage for it is a misconception that foot massage might cause early labor. Yes, there is a particular massage that when administered, aids in bringing about natural labor. However, that massage needs to stimulate a particular acupressure point, and it needs to be done bilaterally. Accidentally stimulating these acupressure points is next to impossible, for only those who are professionally trained are aware of the exact location of these points.
In light of that, it is absolutely safe for pregnant women to go for a foot massage without any fear of causing harm to themselves or the baby in their womb. In fact, foot massage is highly beneficial to a pregnant woman. It is a proven method to alleviate Edema. However, if you still have apprehensions it is best to ask your doctor.
3. What is the best foot massager for Diabetics?
Massage has been to proven to help increase blood circulation. An increased blood circulation can encourage cellular intake of glucose and improve insulin utilization. It also helps restore nerve functionality and sensation in a diabetic person. Having diabetes can take a toll on the whole well-being of a person, and having a soothing massage to help them relax allows their body to restore harmonic organ balance and having an easy access to a regular massage at home will be beneficial for the person suffering from diabetes. However, it is best to consult your doctor to help you choose the right foot massager option for you.
Purchasing the best foot massager is a sound investment. You will not be the only one enjoying the benefits of having one, but your whole family can enjoy it as well.
Among the top 15 product mentioned in our 2017 foot massager reviews list, I highly recommend the Shiatsu Foot Massager, deep kneading By Homedics. The product’s review says it all! It delivers its promise to provide you a deep and relaxing massage experience and multiple health benefits, including tension relief, relaxation of your muscle pain, and an increase blood flow and circulation.
Thank you so much for reading, enjoy your new purchase and share this with others who intend to buy their very own foot massager!
Leave a Reply