If you go to the gym or an upmarket spa regularly, you are sure to have encountered the sauna. Not everyone, however, wants to share a public sauna, nor can they afford to have one built at home. What is the option? A portable sauna, of course.But are they safe? Can anyone use it? What are the benefits and concerns?
These are the questions anyone will ask of themselves. Well, the good news is we have done the legwork for you. Not only have we addressed the issues, but added in our own portable sauna reviews, so that you can sit back and relax while deciding on the best portable sauna option for you.
Types of portable saunas.
- 1 Types of portable saunas.
- 2 Our Team’s Portable Sauna Reviews
- 2.1 1. Radiant Saunas Harmony Deluxe (1-Person) Portable Sauna
- 2.2 2. Radiant Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
- 2.3 3. Far Infrared Portable Sauna + Negative Ion Detox
- 2.4 4. Gizmo Supply 1000 W Portable Therapeutic Infrared Sauna spa
- 2.5 5. Durherm X Large EMF Free FIR Infrared Portable Indoor Sauna.
- 2.6 6. KOREA Sauna Dome Home
- 2.7 7. Ridgeyard Foldable FIR Far Infrared Sauna Spa
- 2.8 8. Personal Steam Sauna SPA Portable Therapeutic Weight Loss For Body.
- 2.9 9. Steamflex Therapeutic Portable Folding Steam Sauna Spa
- 2.10 100% Far Infrared Portable Sauna
- 2.11 Therasage Portable Far Infrared Sauna
- 2.12 High Quality Professional Sauna Dome
- 2.13 Durherm Portable Personal Folding Home Steam Sauna.
- 2.14 DURHERM Portable Folding SPA Home Steam Sauna
- 3 How to choose a portable sauna
- 4 What are the health benefits of a sauna?
- 5 The downside to saunas
- 6 The advantages of a portable sauna
- 7 In Conclusion
There are basically two types of portable saunas, the first type is a portable far infrared sauna. The second type is a traditional portable steam sauna. Both of these types of the sauna as do what they are supposed to efficiently.
A traditional steam sauna, as opposed to the infrared variety, uses radiant heat to warm air which then heats up your skin and body. An infrared sauna heats your body directly without having any effect on the air around you. The whole idea of an infrared sauna is that it can produce traditional results in a human body at much lower temperatures than a conventional sauna.
Portable FAR Infrared Sauna.
Just what is a portable FAR infrared sauna? An infrared sauna is basically a type of portable sauna that uses light to create heat. Sometimes an infrared sauna will be called a far-infrared sauna. “FAR” just tells you whereabouts on the light spectrum the infrared waves used by that particular sauna fall. If you are contemplating buying a portable infrared sauna then you should probably, first of all, read some portable sauna reviews to determine which one is the best for your needs. There are numerous portable infrared saunas available on the market and the best portable infrared sauna will be listed on any website that does portable infrared sauna reviews.
Portable Steam Saunas.
Steam saunas will heat a room more than an infrared sauna and the other major difference other than the temperature is going to be the humidity, generally, an infrared sauna will only supply a humidity of around 20%, whereas a steam sauna will raise the humidity to up to 65%. Visiting any type of sauna is not recommended for people who have already had a stroke or a heart attack. For steam saunas, look for best portable steam sauna reviews.
Our Team’s Portable Sauna Reviews
Here are a few product reviews on portable saunas checked out by our team for your convenience. Please do let us know whether they are of any help.
1. Radiant Saunas Harmony Deluxe (1-Person) Portable Sauna
The Radiant Harmony’s Harmony Deluxe Portable Infrared Sauna is a handy home equipment that provides the comfort of a sauna wherever you are. However, it has its advantages and downsides.
The Pros of This Harmony Deluxe Portable Infrared Sauna
- Quality construction
- Produces high heat
- Easy to set up
Cons of The Portable Infrared Sauna
- High EMF levels
- Takes long to heat up
- Defective parts
Key Features and Benefits:
Here are the key features and benefits of this sauna:
- Easy to Set Up: This portable sauna is easy to set up and requires minimal space. You can enjoy a warm sauna anywhere you go since it folds easily and can be set up in less than 2 minutes. The accompanying chair, footpad, and floormat are easy to set up as well.
- Quality Build: The chair has a comfortable armrest and has a metal build that can support up to 220lbs. This portable sauna is made of fully insulated polyester fabric and has sturdy stitching that can withstand moisture. You can take anywhere weighing only 22 lbs. or 10 kgs.
- Affordable: This sauna is a great alternative if you don’t have the space or the budget for a cabin sauna. I also like the fact that it consumes low voltage, so it won’t affect your power bill that much.
- High heat: The Radiant Sauna’s Harmony Deluxe Portable Infrared Sauna reviews rated that it heats up hot enough for a satisfying sauna break. This portable sauna has a maximum temperature of 150 Fahrenheit enough to sweat out the toxins. Radiant Harmony’s Harmony Deluxe Portable Infrared Sauna is a handy and affordable addition to your home. It lets you enjoy the comfort and practicality of a sauna without paying $20 each visit. Depends on what you believe, high EMFs can be a concern especially if you will use it often.
Who Can Benefit from This?
This sauna is best suited for:
- People who want to detoxify
I heard that sweating can be good for you since you relive your body of toxins and excess sugar and salt.
- Patients with Lyme disease and fibromyalgia
Infrared saunas are reportedly good for patients of these diseases. Fibromyalgia is a painful musculoskeletal disorder with fatigue and sleep issues. Lyme disease is an infectious disease caused by Borrelia bacteria which is carried around by ticks. For fibromyalgia, the increased temperature eases the muscle pains while for Lyme disease patients the heat kills off some of the bacteria.
Most of Radiant Harmony’s Harmony Deluxe portable infrared sauna reviews have a 75% 5-star rating at Amazon. Most reviews often said price and functionality as the top reason.
“In the manual, it says it takes two minutes to unfold, I found it actually takes less than one minute to unfold or store away. It is easy to store in your car if you were going somewhere”.
However, the highest-rated review comes from a Lyme disease patient saying that after using it he “I do notice an improvement. My sores were lessened, and I don’t experience as many tingles under my skin. I’m so glad I found this sauna!”.
However, most negative ratings are due to the recorded high EMF levels. One user said it was a “human microwave”. Another user didn’t like the burnt plastic smell when they started using it.
Several complaints about factory issues have been reported like missing foot pads, defective chairs, and error codes controllers. Although the company responds immediately, it can be a hassle for someone who is expecting a pristine product.
- What is the warranty for this sauna? The Radiant Harmony’s Harmony Deluxe portable infrared sauna has a 1-year warranty included. As we mentioned they do have a good after-sales service which you can count on.
- How do I clean my Harmony Deluxe sauna? After using it, use a damp cloth to dry the PE foam inside the sauna box. Don’t pack it up immediately and let it cool down.
- How do I adjust the temperature? The footpad, side and back walls are covered with 0.1 mm conductive heating elements coated with heat-activated FIR material. Using the controller, it can adjust easily to your desired temperature and the footpad automatically adjusts as well.
2. Radiant Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
The Rejuvenator Portable Sauna is a cleverly designed sudatory made by Radiant Saunas. To set your expectations, however, this product is manufactured primarily for recreation and relaxation, so it must not be used for medical purposes.
Measuring 28 inches wide, 33.5 inches long, and 38.1 inches tall, this unit has cabin-like dimensions that are enough to accommodate one person.
It includes an insulated and padded sponge floor mat and a foldable chair for quick set-up. While sitting, you even get to adjust the heat using its handy remote for both temperature and timer control.
Made of cotton insulation, a satin polyester exterior with three layers, and a reflective polyester inside material-lock that is sewn together, the panel of this unit ensures sturdiness. It has a padded and double-lined neck collar as well as interior and exterior front compartment zippers to make sure infrared heat does not leak.
This unit has a built-in thermostat and three energy-efficient low EMF carbon fiber heating panels that emit heat at a maximum temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit (or 65.56 degrees C). You could select from five options for preset heat temperature levels, too.
The product might be most suitable for indoor use, but do not worry because it features a modern yet transitional aesthetic. Additionally, the gray finish allows it to blend in any spacious area in your home. You may also bring it for outdoor travels if you want.
The Pros of This Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
- Energy-efficient carbon fiber infrared heat panels
- Material includes sturdy, moisture-resistant satin polyester
- Five (5) preset heat temperature levels
- Dual interior-exterior zippers on the front compartment
- Easy and quick set-up for storage or traveling
Cons of The Portable Infrared Sauna
- Can only accommodate one person
- Max temperature might not be enough for others
- The chair is too small and slightly uncomfortable
- The user manual is hard to follow
- Not intended for medical purposes
- An integrated automatic shut-off safety mechanism
- Modifiable temperature
- Three-layer exterior satin polyester fabric
Despite a few minor flaws, including a foldable chair that is a bit small and uncomfortable, the Rejuvenator Portable Sauna might be still worth checking out. The above review might serve as your resource to help you consider owning the product.
Who Is This Product For?
This lightweight infrared might be a good product recommendation for people whose hands are mostly on deck and who are conscious of their health but have little time to pamper themselves. If you want to reduce stress and fatigue or lose weight the easy way, it is a good starting point.
Check out what other customers have to say about this portable sauna with these Radiant Saunas Rejuvenator Portable Sauna reviews:
- “Initially, I had second thoughts about owning this product because I thought it couldn’t get any hotter, being a person who’s always cold. But when I decided to buy it and gave it a try, I sweat out a lot. I also appreciated the design because my head doesn’t get hot. I tell you, it’s definitely worth your time and money.”
- “Toward the front, there are side panels that don’t give off enough heat, which surprised me. Maybe I got a defective unit.”
- “Such a valuable product! It can be set up quickly and cleaned easily.”
- “I ordered it in hopes of sweating out without the need for active exercises. It’s unexpectedly easy to set up, but does it heat a lot? I don’t know. I’ve tried to let it heat up for about 10 minutes and adjusted the temperature gradually, but still, it doesn’t get hot enough. What a letdown! I’ll return this product instead.”
- “Between losing weight and reducing stress, I had no issues with this product. I love it!”
- “I was expecting that more heat would come out. Otherwise, it’s a great product.”
Review: Radiant Saunas BSA6310 Rejuvenator on Youtube
FAQ & Additional Tips
- Do I need to add something for it to heat up? This portable infrared sauna is a dry heat unit which means you do not need to add water or anything else just to get it heated up. It is entirely different from a steam sauna.
- How hot does this product can get? The portable infrared sauna has a maximum thermostat of 150 degrees Fahrenheit (65.56 degrees C). If you set the temperature to the range of 130 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, you will sweat in about 15 minutes.
- Does this unit have any chemical smell to it? No, it does not have a chemical smell at all.
- Can the chair be replaced? The foldable chair is not replaceable since it comes together with the unit upon purchase.
- How long should a person spend time in a sauna? The maximum time a person should stay in a sauna is half an hour. Also, take note that this product has a collar, so you should not stay in it for more than 30 minutes.
3. Far Infrared Portable Sauna + Negative Ion Detox
This portable sauna has a reputation for being a rugged little number, it is very solidly made and people say it is both great to detox and for weight loss.
- This infrared portable sauna has intelligent temperature presets in automatic mode, as well as with automatic safety features.
- It is portable with a weight under 18lbs.
- It uses carbon fiber heating panels.
- The only major complain about this sauna is the portable chair that comes with it. The chair is either too small or too low, making it less desirable for people with huge body structure.
- People with arthritis complain about the chair, forcing them to buy camping chair for additional dollars.
4. Gizmo Supply 1000 W Portable Therapeutic Infrared Sauna spa
This portable sauna has a few more features than average. It is designed to set up and then fold up very quickly and easily without any tools. The power input of courses 1000 W meaning the sauna will heat up to a maximum of 140°F within 5 minutes.
- It has a timer system that allows you to choose from 5 minutes to 60 minutes.
- For your safety, it has a temperature control.
- The neck collar of the sauna is removable, allowing you to clean it for hygiene purposes.
- It has a total weight of 18 lbs which is light enough to move around.
- The chair cannot support those people who weigh 160 pounds and more.
- The heat is not well-distributed. The heat in this sauna is concentrated more at the back and on the sides.
5. Durherm X Large EMF Free FIR Infrared Portable Indoor Sauna.
As the name might suggest, this portable infrared sauna is definitely designed for the larger persons. There are reviews of people who weigh in near 300 pounds having no trouble fitting inside this sauna. For its sheer size its weight of 25 pounds is quite surprising. One of the major selling point is the manufacturer uses to market this particular sauna is its low running costs. They are using three separate heaters made of high-tech superconductive and ultra-thin tourmaline panels exclusively manufactured for them in Japan. This effectively means this sauna uses about one quarter of the electricity of its nearest competitor.
- This sauna has no electromagnetic radiation or negative ion, so you can guarantee its 100% safe to use.
- It also comes with an integrated foot pad which is heated.
- It generates more heat without consuming too much power, making it a top choice among other energy-saving saunas.
- The chair is a big downer; it is too low for people with a height and build.
- There’s a complain about its package about missing parts and loose stitching.
6. KOREA Sauna Dome Home
They say dynamite comes in small packages. This is certainly the case with this portable home sauna, as its unique design allows you to fold it up and easily pack it away. Storage is not a problem with this product.
- Product has three temperature settings: low, medium, and high
- Time switch has three adjustments: 20 minutes, 40 minutes, and an hour
- Product folds up to the size of a pillow for easy storage
- Uses a standard plug for power
- You can lay down in this sauna
- Comes in a nifty carry case
- Insulation is a bit of a problem. Covering it with an additional blanket solves this problem.
- Taller people may find it a problem fitting in
7. Ridgeyard Foldable FIR Far Infrared Sauna Spa
This product is relatively quick and simple to set up and take down. It also heats up to the maximum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit within about five minutes.
- Great for a negative ion detox
- Has a built-in auto shut off feature
- Power and time is easily adjustable by means of remote control
- Made of durable, moisture-resistant satin polyester material
- Your hands need not be inside the casing, and you can use them for reading while in the sauna
- First time set-up may be a little difficult
8. Personal Steam Sauna SPA Portable Therapeutic Weight Loss For Body.
Even though this is called a steam sauna, it is actually marketed as a body spa. It is basically a giant bag that you attach the steam blower unit to and then get inside and turn it on. You can add things to the steam like essential oils. Most of them seem to come with some eucalyptus leaves for adding to the steam.
- This sauna can accommodate people with 250 pounds weight.
- It is very comfortable and easy to use.
- You can get free eucalyptus leaves.
- It helps people lose some weight after consistent use.
- This sauna doesn’t have a portable chair with it.
- The eucalyptus leaves can clog up the filters which are hard to clean.
9. Steamflex Therapeutic Portable Folding Steam Sauna Spa
Lightweight and collapsible, the product folds really well, fitting into a pouch that makes for easy transfer and storage. It is a great product for not only home use but for a mobile spa at a client’s home.
- Comes with a water resistant table cover
- Easy to assemble and take down
- Has a portable remote steam generator
- Is equipped with an alarm thermometer
- Well-made and durable
- Someone else needs to operate the device – do not use it while alone
- A 72″-73″ length massage table is required and needs to be bought separately
- The time setting goes up to sixty minutes, with ten minute increments
- The power setting goes up to over 200 degrees Fahrenheit
100% Far Infrared Portable Sauna
This particular portable sauna is well known for two things. First it is one of the fastest to heat up, it has all-round heating elements that heat up and produce a good sweat in a very fast time. It is also known for being able to comfortably accommodate larger people. A lot of the other reviews about this sauna state that the heat generated by it penetrates a lot deeper than cheaper, less well built models.
Some of the criticisms of this portable sauna are almost laughable.
- The heat penetrateswell inside the sauna, giving you a comfortable and relaxing feeling.
- Most buyers of this sauna commended it for the great service. They claim to have gotten what they paid for.
- The sauna heats up quickly; the heat is on full blast after just 2 minutes.
- The design is not appealing, but still, it doesn’t affect the overall performance.
- The sauna weighs about 32.5 pounds. It’s heavier as compared to the other saunas mentioned above.
Therasage Portable Far Infrared Sauna
A product that does what it says it will do. The safe, therapeutic heat warms and relaxes.
- Emits no electromagnetic radiation
- As an extra-long power cord making the use of an extension lead redundant
- Has a digital timer
- Has a temperature control function
- Negative ion therapy
- Folds up relatively small, i.e. 42″ in length, 33″ in depth, and 7″ in width
- You may find the chair a little uncomfortable
- Item may give a slight chemical odor at first
- Some people may find this sauna does not get hot enough to their taste
High Quality Professional Sauna Dome
The product is very easy to set up and simple to maintain. The two portions slide together for easy use, and, stacked together, take up little storage space.
- Full body heating is ensured by means of five thermal pads
- Adjustable timer allows for sixty minutes usage
- The therapy mat has two heating pads installed
- The thermal dome has five heating pads
- Does not emit harmful electromagnetic frequencies
- Has two separately controlled heat sources
- You have to lay down
Durherm Portable Personal Folding Home Steam Sauna.
This particular portable steam sauna seems to be the universal favorite pick of its reviewers. They all say it is very easy to set up. Very easy to operate and does an excellent job. As well as being easily the cheapest of all of the saunas reviewed here. This particular sauna seems to be very popular amongst a group of people who you would class as experienced sauna users. It does have some drawbacks but for the money asked you can’t go past it.
- This sauna is space saver and portable with a total weight of 11lbs.
- You can set up the timer for up to 60 minutes.
- It is easy to set up with is inside-frame design.
- There is no portable chair in the package, so you need to buy your own.
- Some buyers complain about its poor design.
- The full body steam is quite tricky; make sure you stay away from the steam outlets.
DURHERM Portable Folding SPA Home Steam Sauna
The product is relatively easy to set up inside its frame. The product is easy to clean and folds away nicely for easy storage.
- Steam heats up to about 113 degrees Fahrenheit
- Has an easy set-up inside frame over which the cover fits
- Light on electricity usage
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to erect and disassemble
- The cover may show an insignificant amount of shrinkage over time
- Attachment flaps are not adjustable
- Could be a little taller for larger people
- Chair needs to be bought separately
- Beware of overheating
How to choose a portable sauna
Infrared and steam sauna. You need to decide on which of the two kinds suit you. However, no matter which option you choose, you still want to choose the best infrared sauna or best portable steam sauna that suits your own specific needs and purposes.
So what do you look for?
Do you want to sit in the sauna or lay down? Both options are available. When looking at each, make sure that there is sufficient space for you to either lay down or sit in it. Some people, after all, are taller than others, so make sure you get the right fit for you.
Another question to consider is whether you want the regular steam sauna or an infrared one. The steam sauna produces steam by heating up water. This steam, in turn, causes you to sweat. These saunas usually operate at quite high temperatures, so you need to be careful when using them.
If going for the infrared option, make sure that you check up on the placement of the heating pads. Do you want the whole body heated, or just a certain section.?
The infrared sauna does not make steam. Instead, your body is heated, causing it to sweat. This option also allows, usually, for lower energy usage and less electromagnetic radiation. It also operates at a much lower temperature.
What are the health benefits of a sauna?
A sauna has many health benefits and is often used as part of massage treatments. Not only is it great at improving circulation, but is excellent at treating pain as well. This does not only include muscular aches and sprains but a host of illnesses as well. Amongst those who have found relief from saunas are counted people with fibromyalgia, leg pain, peripheral arterial disease, and even arthritis. In fact, the therapeutic effect of a sauna treatment seems to soothe most types of pain.
To find more way to Relieve Aches and Pains you can read: Reviews of the Best Foot Massager, Plus Astounding Benefits!
Additionally, most people that use saunas regularly comment on added weight loss. This is because your body heat is increased which, when improving your circulation, also improves your metabolism. As a result, your body uses more energy and starts breaking down fat in order to supply this need.
For more on weight loss and other associated issues, please have a look at ‘Get rid of stubborn weight with this simple tool’, ‘Reliable Sauna Suit Reviews for Amazing Weight Loss’ and “The Best Infrared Saunas and Their Many Benefits“. We look at the benefits of each and give our opinion on a few of the best available products on the market.
Because you sweat in a sauna, you detoxify each time you use it. Your body, besides your liver, detoxifies itself, in other words, rids itself of toxins, through the sweat pores.
The therapeutic effect does not end there. The heat causes your body to go into a deep state of relaxation, while your pores are cleaned, giving you a healthier, clearer looking skin.
The downside to saunas
Prolonged high temperatures could have an adverse effect on your health. For example, because of your body, especially the skin, heats up, the heart has to work harder to pump blood to this area. This may mean blood is taken away from the internal organs, causing a drop in your blood pressure. Those with heart conditions may also have their health compromised by prolonged use.
Another thing to be careful of is dehydration, as the body loses a lot of water due to sweat. It is thus very important that you drink a lot of water before or while using the sauna so that your body stays hydrated.
Certain medical conditions or the use of alcohol may also cause a sauna to have an adverse effect on your health. If you thus have any medical conditions, it is advised that you first consult your healthcare professional before using one.
The advantages of a portable sauna
Size does matter! Not everyone has the space for a sauna room. A portable sauna does not need a designated space. You can put it up, use it, pack it up, and put it away.
Cost is a factor. When looking at pricing, a portable sauna gives you all the benefits of a regular sauna at a fraction of the cost. You are also not limited as to where you can use it. It can be used in any room of the house. You can even use it while watching your favorite television show. Of course, if you feel you cannot live without your sauna, nothing stops you from taking it with you and using it on vacation.
It does not really matter how many portable sauna reviews you read, the fact is, you need to decide on the best portable infrared sauna or best portable steam sauna that best fits your personal needs. We hope we have helped you in this regard. For us, our firm favorite is the Ridgeyard Foldable FIR Far Infrared Portable Indoor Sliver Sauna Spa. It is great value for money, and extremely easy to set up and use. Plus, we liked the ionizing treatment that goes with it. The built-in shutoff feature is an added safety feature that ticks an extra box.
Please do feel free to share this information with anyone out there you feel may also be interested. We would really appreciate it.