The pump happens to be one of the most important parts of the hot tub because it is the device that heats the water and moves it through the whole system. Thus, you need to buy the best hot tub pump to get the most out of your bath experience.
5 Best Hot Tub and Spa Pump That You Need to Check Out
- 1 5 Best Hot Tub and Spa Pump That You Need to Check Out
- 1.1 1. VEVOR SPA Pump/Hot Tub Pump (JA75A)
- 1.2 2. EZ Travel Collection’s Hot Tub Submersible Portable Drain Pump
- 1.3 3. Waterway Plastics Executive 56 Frame 3 hp Spa Pump
- 1.4 4. EZ Travel Collection Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Drain Pump with Hose
- 1.5 5. Waterway Plastics’ 4 HP 230V 2-Speed Waterway Spa Pump Side Discharge
- 2 How the Pump Is Used
- 3 How to Choose The Best Hot Tub Pump
- 4 How to Use and Replace a Pump
- 5 Conclusion
1. VEVOR SPA Pump/Hot Tub Pump (JA75A)
- It can run continuously for a very long time and does not use too much power.
- It is quiet and does not vibrate too much while it is installed in the tub.
- It has a single phase motor with a thermal overload protector, along with an insulated air switch.
- It has a very good motor with a cooling function and is made out of high-quality alloy.
- It is very durable and safe due to a complete water and axis separator.
- It has a circulation pump that is compatible with sea water and bath water.
- It has a weak corrosive liquid for a weak acid and alkali water.
- The LX pumps do not fit with air switches anymore unlike the older models.
2. EZ Travel Collection’s Hot Tub Submersible Portable Drain Pump
- It has great functions that are very efficient for draining water.
- It has a streamlined design with a sturdy handle.
- It comes with a very detailed diagram that has very simple instructions.
- It has a spigot that is easy to remove and also very easy to adjust.
- It is very affordable as compared to other brands.
- It is very light and easy to handle when installing the pump.
- It is not as durable as the other models.
- The fitting is not very versatile and does not fit for all hot tubs.
- It has quite a strong vibration and can be too noisy to some people.
3. Waterway Plastics Executive 56 Frame 3 hp Spa Pump
- It has a very versatile end and can rotate at ninety degrees.
- It comes with viton shaft seals.
- It can pump 160 gallons per minute.
- It comes with a 56 frame motor.
- It is extra strong and has a cooler operating temperature.
- It is very durable and has an impressive lifespan.
- It runs very smooth, and it also vibrates slowly and quietly.
- It is one of the more expensive brands.
- Vaseline or oil needs to be added quite regularly; otherwise, the machine might stiffen up.
- The adapters are not very versatile and may not fit with all of the hot tubs.
4. EZ Travel Collection Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Drain Pump with Hose
- It comes with a drain pump that has a 25-foot PVC discharge hose with clamp.
- It comes with a folding bottom feet which result in low -level draining.
- It has a long waterproof cord that has an adjustable spigot.
- It comes with a complete drain hose along with a clamp.
- It comes in a casing along with a sturdy carry handle.
- It has a strong motor that can drain water really fast.
- It is very easy to use and install.
- It comes with a very detailed exploded diagram that comes along with very specific instructions
- It does not drain all of the water as it does leave some traces at the bottom of the pump.
5. Waterway Plastics’ 4 HP 230V 2-Speed Waterway Spa Pump Side Discharge
- It comes along with a large wet end that is used for higher head pressure.
- It also comes with automatic overload protection.
- It runs on 4 HP 3450/1725 RPM motor which pumps water really strong.
- It has a 1-year warranty with the manufacturer, so you can change defective parts or replace the whole pump for free.
- It is very easy to replace and install.
- It also comes along with a very detailed exploded diagram, which makes installation very easy.
- It is able to fit with most of the hot tub brands.
- It has a very long shelf life, and it can run continuously for a long time.
- It is quite expensive as compared to the other brands.
- The pump does not come with all the connectors.
How the Pump Is Used
As stated above, the pump is the regulator of the water. The pool pump would work together along with the hot tub heater in order to heat up the water. Firstly, the water is stored in the pump and will move when the tub is on. The pump has a propeller-like device that would rotate and create a vacuum which pushes the water to the hot tub system’s pipes and to other sections such as the heater to make the water hot. The pump is also connected to the hot tub filter (also known as a hot tub cleaner) which is the part of the tub that would clean all the water stored in the pump from bacteria and dirt that may enter the tub from the outside.
How to Choose The Best Hot Tub Pump
When you buy a hot tub pump replacement for your inflatable hot tub, there are a few things that you have to take note. Firstly, you have to consider closely the brand that you plan to purchase. Generic pumps are cheaper, but they don’t last long. Also, they might damage the tub. It’s always best to buy from a well-known brand so that you can be assured of the pump’s quality.
Another thing that you have to check would be the size. Not all pumps can fit into your tub. It will help if you bring the existing pump to the store and ask for the same size.
Lastly, you must also look at the horsepower and the speed. You can see that on the pump itself. The higher the horsepower and speed, the better. However, not all machines can take such high speed. For that, it is best to ask for assistance from the store staff.
How to Use and Replace a Pump
When you buy a new pump, you have to know how to install and replace the old one. The first step would be to shut off the tub. When the tub is turned on, and you try to replace the pump, you could get hurt in the process or get electrocuted. To be safe, shut off the pump, shut off the breaker, and disassemble the current pump. After doing all of that, you should now start disconnecting the old pump by taking out the copper wire bonding attached to the pump.
While you are disconnecting the pump, make sure you’ve drained the pump and closed all the valves, as well as loosen all the nuts. After that, open up the cover and remove all the wires found inside.
From there, connect the new pump to the same spot where the old pump was. Make sure that you attach all the wires properly. Connect all of the wires to the terminals and make sure they’re screwed on tight. Next, put the nuts and bolts back on and reconnect the copper wire bond. From there, put back all of the outer covering so that the wires won’t be exposed.
The last thing that you have to do would be to simply test the pump to see if it works or not. The best way to do so would be to turn on the hot tub to see that the pump is working properly. If the tub is vibrating too much, then there is probably something loose inside the wiring. Dismantle the pump again and tighten everything properly. Check again to see if the vibration is slow and silent. If it is, then your pump is working just fine.
With all the many brands out there, it’s important to choose which is the best based on function, features, and price. Out of the five choices that were given above, the best hot tub pump for your modern home would be the EZ Travel Collection Hot Tub and Swimming Pool Drain Pump with Hose. Out of all the five choices, it has the most useful features, and it also has just one con. The only downside of the product is that it leaves traces of water at the bottom of the pump which is something that can be resolved manually. Also, for a number of features it offers, the price isn’t so high.
When choosing for hot tub pump, it’s always good to have more than one options so that you can compare and get the best choice. If you want to get one that’s worth your money, pick a few of the best options and contrast. This is especially true when picking out the machine parts.