Are you looking for the best low EMF infrared sauna? It’s good that you’re researching your options because the sauna will have effects on your health. This article will be giving some ideas on which saunas to buy. You’ll also learn about what EMF and ELF are and how they could affect you.
Before going on to the details of electromagnetic frequencies, here is a list of the best infrared saunas on Amazon and Wayfair.
7 Best-Value Low EMF Infrared Sauna for the Money
- 1 7 Best-Value Low EMF Infrared Sauna for the Money
- 1.1 1. Dynamic Infrared Santiago 2 Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.2 2. Dynamic Infrared Single Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.3 3. Dynamic Infrared San Marino FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.4 4. Dynamic Infrared Lugano 3 Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.5 5. Dynamic “Monaco” 6-Person Ulta Low EMF FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.6 6. Radiant Saunas 2 – Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
- 1.7 7. Radiant Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
- 2 What are EMF and ELF?
- 3 The Effect of EMF/ELF on the Body
- 4 Conclusion
1. Dynamic Infrared Santiago 2 Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
The Dynamic Infrared Santiago sauna has a thick interior that helps it retain heat for a longer time, making it one of the best infrared sauna on the market. The energy loss is minimal, and the carbon energy heating panels are 25% larger than the, thus penetrating the skin 40% more.
- It helps clear the skin pores
- It helps get rid of wrinkles
- It assists in regulating Blood pressure levels.
- The use of an infrared sauna is not recommended if you are pregnant
- If you have open unhealed wounds, I recommend not using the sauna.
- If you have chronic heart disease, spending a long time in the infrared sauna can leave you exhausted and dizzy.
- Built-in music system
- LED control panel
- 7 carbon heating elements
- It weighs 330 pounds
- Interior lighting system
Who is this Product For?
- Anyone who loves the feeling of relaxing for 15 minutes and working up a sweat is welcome to try out the product. But if you have any chronic health issues, I recommend that you consult your doctor before proceeding.
- The product is ideal for fitness enthusiasts and athletes as it helps them recover quickly from muscle pains.
- Many users, including myself, tried the products and were satisfied with the results. “I didn’t know how truly wonderful this product was until I tried it myself,” says AnnDunn.
- “I purchased the Infrared sauna a year back, and I can’t imagine my daily routine without it. It helps me relax and work up a sweat,” says Michael, one of the first customers to buy the product.
- Though the product got numerous positive reviews, a few people didn’t enjoy it as much. “After a 20-minute session in the sauna, I feel dizzy and dehydrated”, says Douglass, who recently ordered the product.
- Drinking water before stepping into the sauna helps you avoid dehydration.
- The sauna temperature ranges from 100 to 180 degrees F, so choose the temperature that puts the least pressure on your skin to avoid irritation.
- The recommended time is 15minutes, but you can go up to 20 minutes for one session. Longer than that can cause harm.
- Does using an infrared sauna benefit your health? Few types of research show the positive aspects of using a FAR infrared sauna, but the research is not concrete.
- Who shouldn’t use the sauna? If you are pregnant or have chronic heart disease, using an Infrared sauna may cause fatigue, dizziness, dehydration, etc.
2. Dynamic Infrared Single Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
This product is designed and manufactured by Dynamic Saunas. Its source of heat is Far-infrared whose effect is just the same as that of the sun. It is a one-person sauna, and it is powered by 120 V a.c. This product has remote control by Bluetooth compatibility.
- Good heat retention
- Lighter weight
- Has remote control
- Bluetooth compatible
- Low power consumption
- It never gets too hot
- Assembly on site is required
- Takes a longer time to reach its maximum operating temperature
- Cannot be installed near damp environments like swimming pools
The design of this product is excellent. It has good heat retention meaning there is no unnecessary heat loss. Its remote-control capability makes it even more convenient.
Who is this Infrared Sauna for?
Do you want to gain all the health benefits of a sauna without ever leaving your house? then Dynamic Infrared Single Person Indoor Bluetooth Compatible FAR Infrared Sauna is for you. It will make a valuable addition to your home because it is the best available quality for its price
Dynamic Infrared Single Person Indoor Bluetooth Compatible FAR Infrared Sauna Key features.
- EMF rating of 10. This low EMF rating allows you to enjoy the health benefits of infrared sauna therapy
- Thick Hemlock wood construction. This allows for a good heat retention capacity.
- 1450-Watt energy consumption.
- Venting is included for temperature regulation.
- Limited to indoor use only.
- Resistant to warping for enhanced service life.
- Maximum heat capacity of 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Operates at 120 Volts hence can be easily hooked to your mains power supply
- Includes control panels both on the exterior and interior for convenient management of the system.
- Bluetooth compatible with AUX Mp3 player output
- Remove control inclusive
- Seats one person
- Does not require cleaning chemicals hence easy to take care of the project
- Has antimicrobial properties therefore no need to worry about disinfection
- Tampered glass door is included
- UL and ETL listed for quality assurance and monitoring
- 5-year warranty included
- Adult product assembly is required with the only required tools only being a screwdriver and ladder
- Timer included for accurate timing of your therapy sessions
- The interior dimensions are 5′ 8” H x 3′ W x 2′ 8” D.”
- “Excellent construction and very easy to assemble. Absolutely on hassles’’
- “It takes an incredibly short time to warm up. You only need 10-15 minutes before you can get in. I am proud of this purchase.’’
- “I had to wait for 40 minutes before it reached 130 degrees Fahrenheit which is the temperature I enjoy in saunas. I expected a much shorter heating time’’
FAQs and Additional Tips.
- What time does it take to reach the maximum temperature? It takes a maximum of 40 minutes to reach its maximum temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- What are the interior dimensions of the Sauna? The interior dimensions of this infrared sauna are 5′ 8” H x 3′ W x 2′ 8” D.”
- Is it possible to install my sauna in the bathroom? No. Do not install the sauna in damp areas including the bathroom, near the swimming pool or the basement.
3. Dynamic Infrared San Marino FAR Infrared Sauna
Dynamic Infrared San Marino 2 Person FAR Infrared Sauna is manufactured by Dynamic Saunas, a company that is a leader in the industry and has been manufacturing saunas for many years. It is designed to provide users with deep relaxation, stress reduction and improved circulation.
- The sauna is easy to set up and use.
- It’s made from quality materials, so you get top-notch durability and safety.
- It has a good heating capacity, so it can heat up your body very quickly.
- The temperature control is really accurate and consistent.
- It can be a little noisy when it’s on high, but nothing too bad.
- Fits 2 People: The sauna is designed to be able to fit two people comfortably and smoothly.
- 40-degree temperature: It features a 40-degree temperature and 120 volts of power. The temperature can be adjusted easily with the touch of a button. Not to mention, the infrared sauna’s heating process heats up very quickly, and in just 15 minutes you can enjoy its full benefits. It also has a remote control that allows you to set the timer from anywhere in the room so that you don’t have to get up every time you want to use it.
- Bluetooth enabled: The sauna comes with a Bluetooth-enabled controller and can be used independently or paired with other devices via Bluetooth. This way you can listen to music or news while being treated with the infrared rays from the sauna.
- Solid wood: Its solid wood-hemlock wood construction makes it durable enough for long-term use so you don’t need to worry about maintenance or repairs on this product.
Who is this product for?
Dynamic Infrared San Marino 2 Person FAR Infrared Sauna is for anyone who wants to experience the benefits of infrared sauna therapy. It’s for people who want to feel relaxed and rejuvenated or those who want to lose weight without dieting.
It’s a great alternative to other types of saunas, which require going outside or using a traditional metal tub. That makes this sauna an ideal choice for those who have limited space and can’t dedicate too much time to exercising every day.
It’s a great option if you want to do something on your own without having to find an expensive gym membership or wait on someone else’s schedule.
Key features and benefits of the product
The 2 person FAR Infrared Sauna from U-Lite is a great addition to your home. It features adjustable heat controls and easy-to-use remote control for better control over your sauna experience.
This allows you to keep track of how much time you spend in the sauna and how much heat you are using up so that you can make adjustments accordingly.
It is a freestanding sauna that can be placed anywhere you want, including indoors. The ergonomic design makes it comfortable to use, even for long periods of time. The sauna can also be used by one or two people at the same time thus bringing efficiency and convenience.
- “My husband and I have been using it every week for the last few months, and we love it! The heat is very relaxing and soothing, and it’s so nice to be able to work out your muscles without having to go to the gym.”
- “The unit is quiet and heats up quickly, as advertised. It’s easy to use and set up, although there are some parts that can be a little tricky to assemble on your own if you’re not familiar with working with electronics.”
FAQ & Additional Tips
Make sure that you’re comfortable in your sauna before getting in. It should be as warm as you can tolerate without sweating profusely or having a hard time breathing normally. If not, adjust the temperature accordingly until you reach this point.
4. Dynamic Infrared Lugano 3 Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
Before you make the final decision of investing in the Dynamic Lugano 3 Person FAR Infrared Sauna, you need to know its features first.
Made of reforested Canadian hemlock planks, Dynamic’s sauna provides energy-efficient infrared rays that provide a softer and even heat ideal to your body. It uses dry heat which is ideal for people who find humid air overwhelming. It can be controlled to your desired heat levels to induce relaxed sweating.
The product is manufactured by Dynamic Saunas Direct who is dedicated to creating high-quality infrared saunas.
The Pros of This Dynamic Lugano 3 Person FAR Infrared Sauna
- Straightforward assembly requiring only two people
- Comfortable space
- Can reach a perfect heat of 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Its Bluetooth feature makes it more enjoyable
- Energy-efficient design
Cons of The Infrared Sauna
- Can take time to heat, usually around 30 minutes
- Its infrared panels at the back are too hot
- FAR infrared heat
- Bluetooth compatibility
- LED lighting
This product offers great features that will make you enjoy your sauna treat. The Bluetooth feature will help you avoid boredom and make you spend enough time inside. Furthermore, it can accommodate up to three people at the same time.
Who is this product for?
This innovation is designed for people who want to enjoy health benefits. Since the infrared rays induce detoxification, blood circulation, and relaxation of muscles, it can effectively replace exercises.
It is also ideal for people who want to upgrade from the traditional saunas. Since traditional saunas have to heat water to provide steam that will necessitate sweating, it will mean more power is used to boil the water.
Key Features and Benefits
- FAR infrared heat: The infrared rays used by this sauna penetrate the body and heat it from the inside. The temperature will not be affected, but your body organs will feel the effect of the heat. As a result, you will manage to bear the temperature inside and attain the maximum benefits during your stay inside the sauna. This heat will also work in conserving energy since the sauna can release heat that is enough for the body but not the surrounding air.
- Spacious: This sauna measures 5′ 9” H x 4′ 9” W x 3′ 5” D, thus providing enough space for three people. Two people can also share the space for great comfort. Such a space is ideal because the infrared rays will manage to penetrate each part of the body without a struggle.
- Bluetooth compatibility: The sauna’s Bluetooth feature allows you to stream your audio and listen through its built-in speakers. This innovation is great because you won’t be tempted to sleep for the 20 or so minutes that you will spend inside. The feature will make you feel more excited as you listen to your favorite music.
- LED lighting: The LED lights make you feel like you are out in the sun. They stimulate a glowing and happy mood as you observe the changes in your body.
Here are some of what people have to say about the product:
- “It looks so amazing in our space….and the radio and light are amazing as well.”
- “This sauna is beautiful and heats up in just 15 mins. The Bluetooth feature is also awesome! I definitely love it!!!”
- “The sauna takes about 30 minutes to reach the desired temperature. This room is good in every way you look at it in terms of quality, durability, and elegance.”
- “I really love it. After I used it, I felt relaxed while my back pain and tense muscle were relieved. Since I started using the sauna, I lost two pounds of weight already.”
5. Dynamic “Monaco” 6-Person Ulta Low EMF FAR Infrared Sauna
Dynamic Infrared’s “Monaco” low EMF infrared sauna is a great option for those who want to reap the benefits of saunas in the comfort of their own homes. Not only does it does a great job of providing its users with the health benefits of saunas, but it also has several features that make the experience more convenient and enjoyable.
- Chromotherapy Lighting: Like many of their other sauna models, the Monaco model uses the company’s unique chromotherapy lighting that allows users to achieve their wellness goals such as pain relief and reduction of inflammation while sitting back and relaxing.
- Low EMF: One of the most notable features of this model is that it emits a lower EMF radiation which reduces your risk of suffering from various illnesses because of the radiation.
- Capacity to Sit 6 Persons: This model’s interior dimensions are spacious enough to accommodate up to 6 persons, allowing you and your whole family to enjoy and reap the benefits of your home sauna together.
- Additional Convenient Features: Aside from its main features, the Dynamic Monaco 6-Person Ulta Low EMF FAR Infrared Sauna model also comes with several convenient features like 2 seating benches, a remote control, a separate control panel, and an auxiliary input for mp3 players.
These features allow users to enjoy the sauna experience even more, giving them the ultimate comfort and convenience.
The Pros of This Dynamic “Monaco” 6 Person
- Spacious and wide enough for 6 persons
- Comes with several convenient features
- Emits only a low level of EMF radiation
- Uses the effects of different lights to achieve your desired results
Cons of The Infrared Sauna
- Can be difficult to assemble, especially alone
Who is it for?
This particular sauna model is perfect for larger families who want to enjoy and reap the benefits of a sauna together. Moreover, it’s also ideal for those who are concerned about what a high level of EMF radiation could do to one’s health.
Dynamic Infrared’s Monaco 6-Person sauna is overall a great option for those who want to achieve their wellness goals even with their busy schedules. It’s large enough so that the entire family can benefit from it, and it has numerous features that make the sauna experience convenient, comfortable, and enjoyable.
However, its assembly can be challenging, especially when done alone, but it’s a small price to pay for the benefits you can reap from this sauna.
Check out what the other customers have to say about this sauna model in these Dynamic Infrared sauna reviews.
- “The sauna was everything we hoped for and more! My family and I use it almost every day!”
- “Its overall design is well thought of and well-engineered. It’s perfect for those conscious of their health like I am.”
- “It heats up quickly and it’s the perfect addition to my home’s bathroom.”
- “It’s overall a great sauna. My only complaint is that the manual and instructions could be clearer. The fuzzy print on the manual made the assembly more challenging than it should have been.”
6. Radiant Saunas 2 – Person Indoor FAR Infrared Sauna
The Radiant Saunas 2 Person Infrared Sauna is a well-built and quick-heating infrared sauna manufactured By Radiant Health Sauna Companies. Their company is one of the more prominent names on the market, having sold thousands of units in Canada and the United States.
Their two-person infrared sauna comfortably fits two persons at once, and it offers you the ultimate relaxation experience, all in the comfort of your own home. Thanks to its solid construction and various features, it’s one of the best infrared sauna models out there.
- Quickly heats up to 141 degrees
- Good exterior and interior layout
- Highly durable and long-lasting
- Easy to navigate with touch controls
- Offers enough ventilation for comfort
- Careful assembly is necessary
- Can only seat two persons
Overall, this infrared sauna is an excellent choice if you’re looking for something with a solid structure that can heat up quickly. It also offers the best bang for your buck and comes with enough accessories that allow you to enjoy the product.
Who Is This Product For?
This two-person infrared sauna is best for those who want to relax and unwind in the comfort of their home. It’s also an excellent choice if you’re a healthcare practitioner who uses saunas for your services.
Key Features and Benefits
- Slim Frame and Aesthetic Wooden Design: The Radiant 2 Person Sauna can complement your home well because its design gives it additional character. It also has a nice appearance that blends well with different home interiors. Its slim frame also allows it to fit almost any part of your house.
- Efficient Carbon Heaters: These heaters read low-EMF and low-VOC but heat up to 141 degrees within an hour. So, you can enjoy your sauna immediately without worrying about any risks.
- Plug-and-Play Design and Built-In Speaker: Thanks to this, you can easily connect the unit to an outlet. It also comes with other features that enhance your sauna experience, such as the built-in speaker that you can connect to using an AUX cable.
- Solid Wooden Construction: The Canadian Hemlock wood used for this sauna gives it a sturdy construction. It also offers an excellent strength-to-weight ratio, and it attaches firmly to surfaces for better durability.
Other Customers Reviews
- “I love the Infrared Sauna, it heats up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit in about 30 minutes, and then the temperature slowly climbs up to 135 In an hour .”
- “I am really satisfied with this sauna. My only concern is that it gives off an EMF reading 30 times higher than the safe level.
- “Great deal! Easy to assemble! I assembled mine in less than an hour.”
7. Radiant Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
The Rejuvenator Portable Sauna is a cleverly designed sudatory made by Radiant Saunas. To set your expectations, however, this product is manufactured primarily for recreation and relaxation, so it must not be used for medical purposes.
Measuring 28 inches wide, 33.5 inches long, and 38.1 inches tall, this unit has cabin-like dimensions that are enough to accommodate one person.
It includes an insulated and padded sponge floor mat and a foldable chair for quick set-up. While sitting, you even get to adjust the heat using its handy remote for both temperature and timer control.
Made of cotton insulation, a satin polyester exterior with three layers, and a reflective polyester inside material-lock that is sewn together, the panel of this unit ensures sturdiness. It has a padded and double-lined neck collar as well as interior and exterior front compartment zippers to make sure infrared heat does not leak.
This unit has a built-in thermostat and three energy-efficient low EMF carbon fiber heating panels that emit heat at a maximum temperature of 150 degrees Fahrenheit (or 65.56 degrees C). You could select from five options for preset heat temperature levels, too.
The product might be most suitable for indoor use, but do not worry because it features a modern yet transitional aesthetic. Additionally, the gray finish allows it to blend in any spacious area in your home. You may also bring it for outdoor travels if you want.
The Pros of This Rejuvenator Portable Sauna
- Energy-efficient carbon fiber infrared heat panels
- Material includes sturdy, moisture-resistant satin polyester
- Five (5) preset heat temperature levels
- Dual interior-exterior zippers on the front compartment
- Easy and quick set-up for storage or traveling
Cons of The Portable Infrared Sauna
- Can only accommodate one person
- Max temperature might not be enough for others
- The chair is too small and slightly uncomfortable
- The user manual is hard to follow
- Not intended for medical purposes
- An integrated automatic shut-off safety mechanism
- Modifiable temperature
- Three-layer exterior satin polyester fabric
Despite a few minor flaws, including a foldable chair that is a bit small and uncomfortable, the Rejuvenator Portable Sauna might be still worth checking out. The above review might serve as your resource to help you consider owning the product.
Who Is This Product For?
This lightweight infrared might be a good product recommendation for people whose hands are mostly on deck and who are conscious of their health but have little time to pamper themselves. If you want to reduce stress and fatigue or lose weight the easy way, it is a good starting point.
Check out what other customers have to say about this portable sauna with these Radiant Saunas Rejuvenator Portable Sauna reviews:
- “Initially, I had second thoughts about owning this product because I thought it couldn’t get any hotter, being a person who’s always cold. But when I decided to buy it and gave it a try, I sweat out a lot. I also appreciated the design because my head doesn’t get hot. I tell you, it’s definitely worth your time and money.”
- “Toward the front, there are side panels that don’t give off enough heat, which surprised me. Maybe I got a defective unit.”
- “Such a valuable product! It can be set up quickly and cleaned easily.”
- “I ordered it in hopes of sweating out without the need for active exercises. It’s unexpectedly easy to set up, but does it heat a lot? I don’t know. I’ve tried to let it heat up for about 10 minutes and adjusted the temperature gradually, but still, it doesn’t get hot enough. What a letdown! I’ll return this product instead.”
- “Between losing weight and reducing stress, I had no issues with this product. I love it!”
- “I was expecting that more heat would come out. Otherwise, it’s a great product.”
Review: Radiant Saunas BSA6310 Rejuvenator on Youtube
FAQ & Additional Tips
- Do I need to add something for it to heat up? This portable infrared sauna is a dry heat unit which means you do not need to add water or anything else just to get it heated up. It is entirely different from a steam sauna.
- How hot does this product can get? The portable infrared sauna has a maximum thermostat of 150 degrees Fahrenheit (65.56 degrees C). If you set the temperature to the range of 130 to 150 degrees Fahrenheit, you will sweat in about 15 minutes.
- Does this unit have any chemical smell to it? No, it does not have a chemical smell at all.
- Can the chair be replaced? The foldable chair is not replaceable since it comes together with the unit upon purchase.
- How long should a person spend time in a sauna? The maximum time a person should stay in a sauna is half an hour. Also, take note that this product has a collar, so you should not stay in it for more than 30 minutes.
What are EMF and ELF?
EMF is short for electromagnetic fields, which are unseen forces that surround electrical devices. They are produced by electric currents, which are created by the motions of electrons within a wire. Electromagnetic fields have electric and magnetic components.
Electrical equipment, electrical wiring, motors, and power lines produce EMF. Electrical substations, antenna, microwave, and radar towers also produce EMF.
Common household sources of EMF are fluorescent lights, dimmer switches, cellphones, computers, blue-tooth devices, Wi-Fi networks, TVs, microwave ovens, and electric blankets and heaters. If you use metal pipes for your plumbing, it can conduct EMF from a nearby electrical source as well.
Most electrical items such as the ones mentioned above give off a kind of EMF called ELF. ELF is an acronym for extremely low frequency and it describes a type of radiation. To explain, radiation is the emission of energy from a source, and it can involve very low to very high bursts or frequencies. ELF in particular is at the low range of the spectrum.
ELF is non-ionizing radiation. It can make atoms vibrate slightly but they do not contain enough power to move electrons or damage DNA. Thus, it’s considered as mostly harmless.
In contrast, ionizing radiation such as ultraviolet rays and x-rays can remove electrons from an atom and destroy cells and the DNA inside them. When the DNA gets affected, the cells may mutate and turn into cancer.
Ionizing radiation sources are sunlight (which has ultraviolet rays), X-rays, and gamma rays. These belong to the middle to higher range of the electromagnetic spectrum. You can protect yourself from these rays by using sunblock, or in the case of the more powerful rays, shielding yourself with thick lead, steel or concrete.
Radiofrequency radiation includes television and radio signals, cordless phones, computer, laptop, and TV screens, microwave ovens, wireless local area networks, cellphone base stations, and smart meters (devices that measure gas and electricity).
You can check the amount of EMF in your environment by using an EMF meter or a gaussmeter. If you want a professional to do it for you, call your local electric company.
According to NIEHS, these are ways to estimate EMF exposure:
- Considering the power lines’ characteristics (wire configuration, thickness, etc.)
- Measuring EMF for short periods of time at a location
- Monitoring the EMF in a location during different time periods and getting the average
- Wearing an EMF-measuring instrument
- Making mathematical calculations using the historical load of the power lines
The Effect of EMF/ELF on the Body
The potential effects of EMF/ELF vary depending on the intensity (strength) and frequency (speed) of the fields.
Harmful EMF levels may produce immediate burns. On the other hand, low level EMF levels may have observable effects only after long periods of time.
ELF can cause a tingling sensation. The currents can go through the body through a point of contact such as the hands or feet.
According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), the link between ELF and certain harmful effects to human health has yet to be established. But there are others who say that it carries some risks.
The United States Department of Labor states some possible side effects of ELF:
- Reproductive changes
- Neurological damages
- Cardiovascular problems
- Brain and behavior abnormalities
- Hormonal changes
- Immune system issues
Other symptoms that may have been caused by EMF are the following:
- Memory Loss
- Chronic fatigue
- Muscle pains
- Sleeping difficulties
- Skin prickling
- Burning sensations
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) is a theoretical sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. It does not have a scientific basis yet, but some individuals think that EMF is causing their problems. According to a survey, EHS sufferers link their symptoms to cellphone base stations, cellphones, cordless phones, and power lines.
Early studies done during the 90’s failed to confirm a link between EMF exposure and breast cancer, brain cancer, and leukemia. But the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS) says that more studies are needed and people should find ways to reduce their exposure to EMF, especially because these fields have become more widespread than ever.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) considers radiofrequency EMF as a potential cancer-causing agent. According to a study, people who used their cellphone a lot increased their risk for developing gliomas (brain cancer) by 40%.
The National Cancer Institute lists several studies that show an increase of childhood leukemia among those who have experienced high levels of EMF. It also mentions that there is one study that showed a relationship between ELF exposure and breast cancer.
Infrared rays, a form of EMF, can cause heat injuries in the eyes. Fortunately, the effect diminishes as the distance to the infrared sources increases. This is why welders cover their eyes with tinted glasses while others don’t have to.
The lower range of infrared will not have the harmful effects of higher range infrared. That is why saunas use the far infrared frequencies and they keep the source of the infrared away from plain view.
Shortwave diathermy (SWD) is on a higher frequency than infrared but has similar effects. It is used for warming up muscles for relaxation and pain relief. Shortwave frequencies are from 1.6 to 30 megahertz (MHz). But the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has given three safe frequencies for use – 13.56, 27.12, and 40.68 megahertz (MHz).
Ultraviolet light causes sunburns, skin problems such as freckles, moles, liver spots, and wrinkles, and skin cancer. It can cause eye problems like cataracts and blindness. Fluorescent light may leak UV rays when it does not have appropriate coating.
Note that the higher range of EMF is more dangerous and more likely to cause the problems listed above. As an example, lasers are a form of EMF that can cause fires. But you don’t have to worry about high EMF with saunas, especially with a no EMF far infrared sauna.
Static electric fields associated with EMF can cause electric shocks. Static magnetic fields can cause magnetic items to move rapidly and cause injuries. Although these fields may be harmful, the National Cancer Institute says that their ability to cause cancers can’t be determined. These risks are irrelevant if you purchase a good quality product.
Infrared in general is a safe kind of EMF for as long as you don’t view the heat source directly. Its main purpose is to create a warming effect for therapeutic purposes. Short wave diathermy is similar to infrared therapy. However, it uses higher frequency wavelengths that aren’t as safe as infrared.
The best low EMF infrared sauna products will have mostly positive feedback. Some manufacturers will also provide thorough explanations about how their devices work. To help you decide which to buy, consider whether the sauna has a warranty and is covered.