Talks that frequent sauna visits improve cardiovascular and mental health are backed by research. New studies said that sauna bathing directly affects blood pressure and heart rate. It lowers chances of dementia, too. That’s why owning a home sauna is a popular move.
But the newer talk of the town is leaving the portable steam sauna; it’s closing in around infrared types. An Infrared sauna uses infrared light commonly used by sports therapists and doctors. The light seeps into your body and brings therapeutic benefits. People are scrambling for it, but it pays to know what makes one the best portable infrared sauna.
Portable Infrared Sauna vs. Traditional Infrared Sauna
Far infrared or FIR saunas do not use steam. They rely fully on the heat coming from infrared heaters. Thus, they do not create a humid experience that steam saunas do. Plus, they require lesser overall power to run than those that use large amounts of heated steam.
Besides lower wattage, the more valuable reason, perhaps, for buying an FIR sauna is related to well-being. Their benefits are not only in sweating out toxins. The infrared light helps rebuild injured tissue, boosts the immune system, and kill pathogens— the unwanted organisms in your body. Studies find that infrared light, in fact, kills Lyme disease-causing bacteria.
Yes, there is the traditional steam sauna and the infrared sauna. Your choices, however, don’t stop there. Infrared saunas come in two types. You can opt for a traditional wood sauna or a portable type. We’ll discuss, in different perspectives, which one is the best infrared sauna.
- Heat. The difference between a traditional and portable sauna in terms of heat is almost trivial. People have reported that they sweat as much in a portable sauna as they do in a traditional one.
- Size and flexibility. Heat benefits in mind, the choice you make is just a matter of a vote for your lifestyle. For instance, peripatetics may prefer a portable sauna because it is convenient. It is easy to setup— just unfold it and then plug it. If you are an outgoing person, a portable sauna would be perfect. You can take it with you and use it anywhere. However, because it is portable, a lot of people have complained about its size. The space inside seems a little cramped for some. Also, you are not likely to get a full-body benefit from its heat. Unlike the traditional type, the portable design makes you stick your head out of the sauna.
- Look. If you do not mind being seen “bathing” like a sausage in a toaster that much, the portable sauna is fine. But if you tend to sway towards a calming rustic look, the wooden-type sauna would be a good choice.
- Cost. Portable saunas are often cheaper than traditional ones. They likely cost a tenth of the price of a traditional sauna.
- Durability. Traditional wooden infrared saunas cost higher than the portable type. It is, however, long-lasting. Wood makes a durable sauna if treated properly. The traditional infrared sauna is a more economical option if you are looking long-term.
Top 7 Portable Infrared Sauna Reviews
In choosing the best portable infrared sauna, think safety. Saunas are investments for your health. You sure don’t want to compromise it with EMF radiation. The risks in infrared saunas depend on the level of electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation.
Science suggests that your body naturally contain EMF. These bioelectrical signals help regulate bodily tasks. However, strong artificial EMF radiation can get in the way of your immune system and sleep cycles. Do not forfeit the purpose of the infrared sauna; look for the unit with EMF lower than 3 milliGauss.
For most people, one becomes the sauna of choice owing to these criteria: safety, comfort, efficiency, the economy of use, ease of maintenance, and durability.
Here’s a review of 7 portable infrared saunas:
1. Radiant Sauna 1-pax Capacity Portable Salem Far Infrared Sauna
This portable FIR sauna is made with a durable reflective polyester lining, lock-stitched to fortify its build. Plus, the satin polyester fabric prettifies the otherwise typical boxy toaster exterior.
It has pre-attached Beechwood dowel frame for an easy setup. Unit easily folds up for storage and mobility. Your comfort is assured with its folding chair and insulated sponge floor pad. The sauna is lightweight. It tips the scales at only 16 lbs.
- Includes remote temperature and timer control
- EMF clocks 3 milliGauss from the middle of the sauna
- Has five levels of pre-set temperature settings
- Collar is padded and double-lined for your neck’s comfort
Check out NEW Model: Harmony Deluxe 1 Person FAR Infrared Sauna
2. Copper-colored Durherm Portable Infrared Sauna
The large Durherm infrared sauna is equipped with ultra-thin super conductive Tourmaline heater panels that are made in Japan. A semi-precious stone, Tourmaline is often used to detoxify your body through negative ions and infrared waves.
The Durherm design allows you to easily move your heads and hands while inside the sauna. You can read, watch films, or listen to music while “bathing”. It also has accessible side pockets for the remote control.
- Sauna is almost EMF-free
- Generates more heat with less power.
- Zip-on/off collars are washable
- Temperature and timing can be remotely controlled
3. SereneLife Detoxifying 1-Person Portable Infrared Sauna
This 25-lbs portable sauna is easily foldable and lightweight. Follow your detox regimen using time settings that can be programmed up to 60 minutes. The temperature can be set up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Supported by energy-efficient low-EMF heating panels, your safety is guaranteed. To enhance your quick sauna session, a small remote is provided for you. The zip closure makes access to the sauna a real breeze.
- Has a programmable system to fit your detox needs
- Equipped with a foldable sauna chair for comfort
- Remote control is provided for switching time and temperature settings
- Sauna sessions can go up to an hour
4. Idealsauna Far Infrared Type with Air Ionizer
Infrared heating panels in this silver-colored infrared sauna emit cleansing negative ions. The sauna introduces you to the benefits of negative ions that bind the positively-charged ones.
This process purifies your air and brings health gains. You can sit comfortably with its folding chair and heating foot pad. The sauna is so designed so that you can read or watch TV while you “bathe”. The timer can be set up to a max of 30 minutes.
- Takes only 5 minutes to heat up
- Big sauna dimensions ensure your comfort
- Infrared heating elements emit air purifier
- EMF ranges between 0.07-13.5 milliGauss
5. Ridgeyard Portable FIR Sauna with Heating Chair and Foot Pad
You can set up this sauna box in just minutes. No tools are required. With 600-watts power, this sauna box warms quickly. In just five minutes, you can enjoy the cleansing power of negative ions from the heating panels. Heat is powered by 3 hi-tech ultra-thin carbon fiber panels. Settings can be adjusted up to 140 degrees Fahn.
A few clicks on the remote, you’ll be sweating out in 10 minutes like you do after 30 minutes of jogging. You can sit relax on the heating chair and foot pad while reading or listening to music. Owing to its moisture-resistant lining, this portable sauna is long-lasting.
- Sauna heats up fast
- Has an auto shut-off safety feature
- Its satin polyester resists moisture
- Requires low wattage to power up the sauna
6. Giantex Personal Home Far Infrared Sauna
Take a relaxing time at home in this coffee-colored portable sauna. This far infrared sauna is built with a Tourmaline heating panel. Tourmaline has been used for a long time in massages and therapies. The addition of tourmaline gives this sauna box an edge. You can adjust the heat from 60 – 140 degrees Fahn.
For your best experience, the heating foot pad can be set in 3 levels. Enjoy up to 60 minutes of cleansing. The sauna comes with a folding chair and a foot massager that aids in sweating out toxins.
- Heating panels have tourmaline elements
- Sauna has foot massager for added comfort and sweating
- Heat can be set up to 140 degrees Fahrenheit
- Foot pad’s heat can be tweaked in 3 levels
7. Relax FIR Ray Sauna
The Relax far infrared sauna has a unique silver-colored rounded exterior. It is built with heating panels that give 100% far infrared light. It does not require much to power up this sauna box. A 700 wattage is enough to jumpstart your quick sauna session.
The FIR technology in this portable sauna makes you sweat quickly in less time. You are safe from excessive EMF radiation with the Relax Sauna.
- EMF radiation mid-sauna clocks less than 3 milliGauss
- Has efficient FIR technology
- Large sauna dimensions ensure comfort and mobility
- Sauna takes little time to heat up
Far infrared saunas give a calm, relaxing experience. The heat waves, which are gentler as compared to the conventional saunas, help sweat out toxins efficiently.
Portable saunas have become popular because they’re convenient and can be transported. With lesser cost and set-up time, one can enjoy the full benefits of sauna bathing.
However, there are risks to using infrared light. The amount of EMF radiation can totally forfeit the purpose of FIR saunas. Thus, EMF levels should be the first criterion to look at when choosing the best portable infrared sauna. Comfort comes second to safety. Sauna accessories and design should ultimately bring ease.
This makes the Copper-colored Durherm Portable Infrared Sauna the winner in the line-up. It has the largest space and the lowest EMF radiation. It has washable parts, too. Plus, the tourmaline panels give it an extra added value.
Infrared saunas are a worthy investment. Put simply, it is a buck for your health.
- 1 Portable Infrared Sauna vs. Traditional Infrared Sauna
- 2 Top 7 Portable Infrared Sauna Reviews
- 2.1 1. Radiant Sauna 1-pax Capacity Portable Salem Far Infrared Sauna
- 2.2 2. Copper-colored Durherm Portable Infrared Sauna
- 2.3 3. SereneLife Detoxifying 1-Person Portable Infrared Sauna
- 2.4 4. Idealsauna Far Infrared Type with Air Ionizer
- 2.5 5. Ridgeyard Portable FIR Sauna with Heating Chair and Foot Pad
- 2.6 6. Giantex Personal Home Far Infrared Sauna
- 2.7 7. Relax FIR Ray Sauna
- 3 Conclusion